Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Monday, April 23, 2007

Author Interview ~ Christy Scannell



Christy Scannell is the associate editor of The San Diego Metropolitan, a monthly business magazine, and the North Park News, a community newspaper. She is also a freelance editor and writer. She is a mentor for the Christian Writers Guild and a staff member of The Christian Communicator. She has developed and edited over a hundred books including The Christian Girl's Guide to... series.



What book or project is coming out or has come out that you’d like to tell us about?

Desperate Pastors’ Wives, the first in the three-book “Secrets from Lulu’s Café” series by moi and co-author, Ginger Kolbaba
(Howard Books/Simon & Schuster)

Tell us about your journey to publication. How long had you been writing before you got the call you had a contract, how you heard and what went through your head.

If you are a frustrated, unpublished writer, you might want to skip my answer to this question because our road to publication was embarrassingly easy. We conceived of the book idea in March 2005 and wrote the proposal, which we presented to a prospective agent in April. He rejected it, but his comments helped us reevaluate our proposal. Then a fiction editor friend offered to take a look at it. She made further suggestions, and also said she heard Howard was looking for a new fiction series. After we redid the proposal, we sent it to Howard. An editor responded within a few weeks. We had a contract for a three-book series before summer ended.

Now, before you start looking for my Cinderella slippers, let me add some explanation to this story. First of all, Ginger and I both had worked in CBA publishing for around ten years — she as a magazine editor and me as a book editor. With that came frequent travels to writers’ conferences where we networked and learned from our colleagues. So that editor at Howard already knew us before she read our work, and we knew how to present it in such a way that it would be attractive to a publisher (the catchy title and marketing potential were paramount).

Plus, we had both been writing for years. I had written for many magazines and newspapers, and Ginger had published three non-fiction books. Still, this was our first fiction effort, so we were floored when the first publisher we approached not only contracted for one book, but three!

Do you still experience self-doubts regarding your work?

Oh, my goodness, yes! I keep telling friends who find out about our book not to expect Steinbeck or anything! I have so much respect for fiction writers and I never dreamed I would be in their ranks, so I’ll probably have to write twenty novels before I ever consider myself a novelist. Literary fiction authors in particular just slay me with how they craft their characters and stories.

That said, I think there is room for all of us out here, and as long as people continue buying what I write, I’ll keep producing it. If that ever stops, I’ll know it’s time to finally go clean out the garage and keep my “stories” to myself!

What mistakes have you made while seeking publication?

We handled our contract negotiations ourselves because we were familiar with contracts and knew and trusted the acquisitions editor. I thought Howard was quite generous considering we were unknown fiction authors, but I do wonder sometimes what an agent would have done differently.

What’s the best advice you’ve heard on writing/publication?

“Keep a notebook and pen every place you go.”

I heard this from a speaker at a journalism event my senior of college, and I’ve tried to follow his advice. I have something to write on next to my bed, in my purse, in my car and next to my chair in the family room. You never know when you’re going to hear a cool word you want to use, or want to jot down an idea, and while you think you’ll remember it later, if you’re scatterbrained like me you probably won’t. I love looking through my notebooks.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve heard?

“Write what you know.”

If I only ever wrote what I knew, I’d never have a byline! There have been periodical stories I’ve dreaded doing that ended up being some of my favorites because of the engaging sources. I love learning about new people and things. But, there are definitely topics — such as finance — that I find to be a real yawner and probably would avoid depending on the slant.

What’s something you wish you’d known earlier that might have saved you some time/frustration in the publishing business?

Having come from the business, I was prepared for how the publishing process would proceed. I understand the peculiarities of CBA book publishing.

Is there a particularly difficult set back that you’ve gone through in your writing career you are willing to share?

When my former employer moved across the country, I decided to go freelance. However, after ten years of mostly editing children’s books, I had to reestablish a network for getting writing and editing jobs. This was frustrating at first (and sometimes still is) because I know there are publishers and publications out there looking for writers, but making that connection can be difficult. Still, freelancing is one of the best decisions I ever made.

What are a few of your favorite books? (Not written by you.)

As a child, my absolute favorite was Harriet the Spy — and that may be why I’m so comfortable carrying around notebooks! I’ve enjoyed all kinds of books over the years, but lately I’ve been focusing on non-fiction because I can’t read fiction when I’m writing it. (Don’t want to unintentionally plagiarize!) I loved Julia Child’s My Life in France and Ruth Reichl’s Garlic and Sapphires.

What piece of writing have you done that you’re particularly proud of and why?

I hate to state the obvious, but Desperate Pastors’ Wives is a real achievement for me on so many levels. It’s my first published book, my first fiction, and my first collaboration. Knowing I have the perseverance and skill to write a novel has opened up a whole new world of opportunity for me.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

CBA has copycat syndrome. Right now, everyone is dashing to get their anti-The Secret books out. A couple of years ago, it was anti-The Da Vinci Code. I’m not saying that as Christians we shouldn’t respond when the world strays, but I wish we could lead the curve more than follow it.

Can you give us a view into a typical day of your writing life?

Ah, there is no typical day and that’s what I love about it! If you visit my Web site, you’ll see I am a night person, so I do the bulk of my work after 4 p.m. But I also have responsibilities with the magazine and newspaper where I am associate editor, so sometimes I have to leave the house as early as 10 a.m. (I know, the horror!) to head downtown to our publication offices. I often end up working way more than forty hours per week, but the advantage is I can structure my own schedule around housework, errands, and social activities.

If you could choose to have one strength of another writer, what would it be and from whom?

I would love to have Truman Capote’s ability to write about his childhood so vividly without resulting to precious images. There is a fine line between classic memoir and a family journal.

I wonder how he saw through the tears to get anything on paper.

Do you have a dream for the future of your writing, something you would love to accomplish?

Yeah, make enough money to retire! Seriously, I hope I can continue to create work that touches people in meaningful ways even if I never can afford to remodel my kitchen. It is an honor to have a skill that brings so much joy and understanding to people. If my life’s work causes just one person to grow closer to God, then I’m happy. What better results could I ask for? (Well, sure, I’d take the new kitchen, too, but that just means I have to cook more, right? There’s always a bright side!)

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

Every time I am on deadline! I often wonder why I don’t go do something “normal” instead, like push papers in an office. But then someone e-mails me a compliment on something I wrote and I vow never to leave this profession. It’s a vicious cycle of exhaustion and exhilaration!

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

My favorite part is talking to sources. We spoke to many for our series, and I regularly interview people for articles. I find people absolutely fascinating, and I’ve never met a person who does not have at least one interesting tidbit to share, although some do require more prodding than others. My husband has to remind me at parties that I’m not working, otherwise I question people to death!

My least favorite part is the financial insecurity. Jobs and profits seem to ebb and flow. I have to remind myself constantly that this is where God wants me and he will take care of me.

How much marketing do you do? Any advice in this area?

I have a Web site and I always carry business cards because you never know where you might meet a potential client (I’ve met a few on planes, for example). I periodically send reminder e-mails to editors I know who look for freelancers, just to remind them I’m still around.

It is important to think like the person who might be interested in you rather than the person you are. Ask yourself questions such as:
Why would publication X want to do a story on my new book?
Why would this magazine want me to write this story? What is the take-away for the readers?
What makes me stand out from all the others looking to get published?

Parting words?

Thanks for reading this far! :)

I think the best thing an unpublished writer can do is attend writers’ conferences. These conferences are unique chances to meet with editors, network with colleagues, and enhance your skills. Even advanced writers can benefit from conferences such as Mt. Hermon. It is money well spent, believe me!

6 comments:

  1. Great tips. Thanks for being with us and congratulations on your first novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this intview. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun interview, Gina & Christy. Pastor wife that I am (although I don't think I'm desperate LOL), I'll have to pick up this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! I'm an infinite question-asker, too! I’m merely pretending to be a writer to justify my nosiness. Is there a support group for people like us?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to reading your novel. I bumped into Ginger at Florida Christian Writers Conference last year, and she told me it was in the works. Sounds fascinating. I'm a pastor's wife, so naturally, I'm interested!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun interview! I just finished reading Harriet the Spy to my daughters, and then we all three wrote "PRIVATE" across our secret notebooks. heh. heh. Some great stuff in there.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.