Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Our First Critique Victim and the Fine Print

Today we share our first on-line critique. Ane, Jess and I have been critique partners for years and thought maybe some stuff we've picked up might be useful to others. Maybe not.

Okay, before anybody suggests we might not knowing what the heck we're talking about being three unpublished novelists, I thought I'd say it for you. Who are we to give advice? If our advice was so great, we'd have juicy multi-book contracts, right?

You're right. We may not having the vaguest idea what we're talking about. Let the proof be in the pudding. Read what are suggestions are, see if you agree or disagree. If we're off, leave a comment letting us know. Our suggestions are just that SUGGESTIONS. The author will be wise to use discernment and pick up what works for him/her and ignore what doesn't.

We're not above learning. We sometimes don't agree with one another's critiques of our work. Sometimes we debate but ninety-five or better percent of the time, we have learned to trust each other.

I trust what these two ladies have to say about my writing above anyone else.

We've each been edited/critiqued by professional editors, best-selling authors, etc and no one has been tougher on us than us. We're each agented and have all made it as far as commitee. But like I said, we are not basking in the glow of book contracts, so feel free to jump in and suggest we're wrong on a point or many points if you think we are.

Our hope is that not only this author who bravely subbed his/her work will benefit, but that some folks reading the critique will be able to apply our suggestions to their own work.

Gina

8 comments:

  1. Will you be posting the 1,000 words not interrupted by critique?

    I think that would be helpful to first read the submission and then read the critiques from the three of you.

    Thanks for doing this. I know it will certainly help me in learning to self-critique and self-edit. I agree that reading books like Self-Editing for the Fiction Writer is one way to hone your skills, but some of us learn by example and there's not a whole lot of that out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle, we had intended to. Our apologies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading all the comments, but, gulp, I would find it hard to take. Bravo to the volunteer. Could it be the 'dead soldiers' were actually empty beer cans? I seem to remember that reference somewhere in my past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be hard to take if you're not used to it. We rip each other up on a daily basis and we've gotten so massichistic that when we get a critique back from one another and see lots of red we get excited because the critiquer had lots of suggestions to make our work that much better. The thick skin does come fairly quickly of having this done to you on a regular basis.

    On the the beer can thing. You're probably right. But see there may be a problem. I didn't get it. If I didn't get it, you can almost bet that I'm not the only one. It bears consideration. We're not there with our reader to explain our meaning, so it needs to be one hundred percent clear. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must be on the thicker side of the skin thing, I thought all the suggestions were helpful and by the way you were talking, I expected it to be MUCH worse!

    I would love to have those kinds of critiques all the time. I'll have to let my crit partners know that's what I'd like if they're willing to put forth the effort.

    Again, thank you so much for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, thanks so much for saying that. We're still taking submissions for the future if you or anyone is interested in subbing 1k words.

    It's worth the effort of tearing up your partners work and have them do it in return. Being part of my critique group has advanced my writing more than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Novel Journey readers. These kind of brutal attacks (er, I mean critiques) from these ladies and others in my crit group, have helped me improve my writing a LOT. Yup, I've cried, got mad, thought about quitting, but ultimately, this is the way we grow. There are all kinds of proverbs about how a wise man listens to criticism and instruction. Great suggestions Gina, Jess, and Ane. And thank you to the victim (um, author). You are indeed brave! Keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all so much for the encouraging comments. We weren't sure if anyone would be interested in this or if it would be well received so we're exhaling. We just knew we learned so much from one another and hoped it would spark some ideas in some folks' own work. We're glad it had the desired effect. We'll keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.