Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Author Interview ~ Wilma Wall

Wilma Wall was born in Shonghong, South China, to missionary parents from the Mennonite Brethren church. She lived in China until civil war broke out and her family was forced to return to the U.S. Wilma attended college at Fresno Pacific, taking a break to get married, teach, and work in the church. She lives with her husband in central California.







What new book or project would you like to tell us about?

I’m working on a novel called Storm Warning, about a woman in an abusive marriage. I had started the book some years back, and called it Panel 31, because the woman reluctantly reports for jury duty but there meets two people who befriend her and end up saving her life. Now the story is much richer and has grown into a trilogy, with a spin-off planned after that.

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I started writing stories and poems when I was a missionary kid, living in an isolated Chinese village, home schooled by my mother. In America, I enjoyed writing essays and term papers in high school and college. Later, as a piano teacher, I wrote skits on the lives of composers for my students to perform at recitals, as well as plays for church occasions. I took college night classes in creative writing and submitted a few short stories for publication, but they were rejected.

Then in 1981, my husband and I took a trip to China, and our experiences along with memories of my early life there inspired me to write a novel, which I called The Mystery of the Chinese Piggy Bank. When it was finished, I sent submissions to six different companies. They all rejected it. People told me “Just run off enough copies for family and friends so we can read it.” But I was stubborn. I said “No. If it’s not good enough, I’ll MAKE it good enough.”

About that time, I met a creative writing workshop teacher, and in her classes I learned what was wrong with my story. By that time I had started Panel 31, and an agent accepted it, but again, all we got were rejections. So the agent and I parted company and I concentrated on short stories. This time, several were published in LifeGlow, Angels on Earth, Woman’s World, and other women’s magazines.

Then one day I was surprised to receive a delayed rejection of Panel 31. This one said they liked the story but as a new writer, I needed to earn my right to deal with such a serious subject as spousal abuse. However, they invited me to submit a romance novella for their bi-annual volumes, and included a list of topics, either contemporary or historical.

Since WWII is now considered historical, I decided to use that setting. The topic of “controversial romance” caught my interest; and what could be more controversial during that era than a romance between a Japanese and a Caucasian? And to up the ante, why not make the Caucasian a German Mennonite? So Forbidden was born. As I developed the characters, I fell in love with them, and it was impossible to do justice to their story in as short a form as a novella. So I went online to find submission guidelines for other companies. There I learned that many preferred to use a manuscript service called The Writer’s Edge, which weeds through submissions and posts those they consider worthy of publication.

The Writer’s Edge accepted my proposal, posted a blurb of my story, and a few weeks later some companies contacted me for proposals. Kregel Publications asked for the entire manuscript. After sending it, I waited and watched the mail for the inevitable (I thought) rejections.

I write best late at night, and before shutting down, I check my email. One night, I saw a message from Kregel Publications. It included an attachment—the draft of a contract. I went into shock. My husband Dave was sound asleep, but I ran and shook him and shouted into his ear: “I SOLD MY BOOK!”

Poor guy, he thought all the late nights had finally gotten to me and I’d gone berserk. How could I have sold my book in the middle of the night? But then I explained and he was as excited as I was.


My contract called for first refusal of my next book, which by then was a completely changed China book, The Jade Bracelet. And after still more changes, I received the contract for it. (To read a review of The Jade Bracelet,
click here)

Do you still have self-doubts about your writing?

No. So many people have expressed their enjoyment of Forbidden and The Jade Bracelet. Both men and women have told me, ‘Yep, I lived through that.’

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

When the agent couldn’t help me, I was discouraged. But the ideas kept coming and I enjoy writing so much that I can’t stop. And when my short stories were accepted, I had a new burst of energy.

What mistakes did you make while seeking a publisher or agent?

Early in my writing, I attended a lot of writing conferences, and showed my work to several agents. Some were mildly interested, but most were not in the market for my type of material. I know now that I should have researched to learn who wanted what.


Also, the agent who accepted me first tried the large secular companies, but it seemed my stories weren’t spicy enough for the secular market and didn’t have a strong enough message for Christian markets. When I concentrated on a spiritual focus, the Lord blessed my work.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

My workshop teacher tells us not to expect an early draft to be perfect. To avoid writer’s block, she says, “Give yourself permission to write rotten”; it can always be polished later. Other writing advice she gives us is to live in the moment, and to BE our characters.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?

I don’t remember. When I go to conferences or read books on writing I usually get a lot of advice. Most I’ve already heard; some doesn’t work for me so I ignore it and just try to remember the few tidbits that fit my needs.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

It’s so hard for a new writer to get published—and when we do, stores don’t always keep our books on their shelves.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

I wish I had started writing seriously earlier in life. And if I had studied creative writing sooner, my stories wouldn’t have needed as many drafts. But I had a full and rewarding career as a piano teacher, and now this is icing on the cake.

Was there ever a difficult set back that you went through in your writing career?

Each rejection is a set back. I always go into a little depression, but as I said before, I’m stubborn, and I try again.

What are a few of your favorite books?

I enjoy reading a wide variety of books and usually have several going at one time. If I have to choose, it might be Pearl Buck’s The Good Earth, The Good Mother, and Imperial Woman; Agnes Sanford’s The Second Mrs. Wu; some Dickens, some Steinbeck, Mark Twain, Betty Bao Lord’s Spring Moon. Granny Brand, by Dorothy Clarke Wilson, Peace Child by Don Richardson, Bruchko by Bruce Olson, Wonderfully and Fearfully Made by Philip Yancey & Paul Brand. For Christian fiction, Francine Rivers is very good and Beverly Lewis describes the Amish so well. I could go on and on.

What work have you done that you’re especially proud of and why?

I spent seven summers teaching preschool in a government center for migrant field workers. Few of the children understood any English and I spoke little Spanish but we learned to communicate and I was able to show them love and prepare them for kindergarten.

I also feel honored to be part of a Mennonite effort, which, through the work of volunteers, uses its profits to help the needy—mostly in third world countries— and train them to support themselves. My job is managing a large used book section in a thrift shop, and Dave collects cardboard for recycling.

During my career as a piano teacher, I was able to produce several dedicated church musicians, which gives me a great deal of satisfaction.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has spoken to you lately in regards to your writing?

Psalm 37:4 Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass. KJV When I did that, He really came through for me.

Can you give us a look into a typical day for you?

Let’s take a Wednesday. Since I write best at night, and Dave generously fixes his own breakfast, I sleep until I wake naturally. At breakfast, I wake my brain up with our newspaper’s crossword puzzle, and then do the household chores. After lunch, I go to the thrift store. On Monday, my two assistants and I have priced and shelved eight or nine boxes of books (all donated) so now I work in the stock room, sorting the new donations and refilling the book cart. Our conference also has a relief sale every spring, with a book room, and duplicate books go in a stack for that purpose. Ragged and obsolete materials get recycled.

When the store closes, I go home and fix a quick supper (I call myself a survival cook—I work just enough to keep us nourished; if it takes more than half an hour, forget it) and then instead of relaxing and watching Wheel of Fortune on TV (I can usually beat the contestants) Dave and I walk to the chapel in our retirement complex for their well-attended Wednesday evening service. Every other week, I run the power point for the song service, which I prepare the morning before.

We get home about 8 PM, and then I go to the computer. Sometimes I relax just a bit with Spider Solitaire, but then I pull up the chapter I’ll be reading in the following Tuesday’s workshop class. When I’m satisfied with it, I work ahead, polishing, adding, deleting, or writing new material. I might quit at 11 PM, or stay at it until 2 AM. That’s about my limit unless there’s a looming deadline.

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

No. I just work until I feel a good ending spot.

Are you an SOTP (seat of the pants) writer or a plotter?

Definitely an SOTP. Maybe that’s why it took me so long to get published. But it’s so much fun to develop my characters, put a conflict in front of them, and see what they’ll do. Sometimes I have an ending in mind, and sometimes they surprise me.

What author do you especially admire and why?

Katie Funk Wiebe—she was widowed at the age of 38, with four young children to raise, and bravely forged a new life and identity for herself. Now a professor emeritus and popular speaker, her books—especially Alone: A Search for Joy; Bless Me Too, My Father; and Border Crossing: A Spiritual Journey—have encouraged and challenged people world-wide, and her prolific articles show deep insight and an appreciation of true Christian compassion.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

My favorite is polishing a chapter. I can’t look at my material without changing sentences around, adding a scene, going deeper into emotions. But I get a thrill when people hear my name and say, “Oh, are you the author? I loved your book.”

My least favorite is printouts. Somehow my printer knows when I’m doing something important, and balks. Or I’ll catch a word I don’t like, and have to do some pages over. By the time I’m finished, I’m a nervous wreck.

How much marketing do you do? What's your favorite part of marketing?

I do radio interviews and book signings and/or talks in stores, churches and clubs. Dave and I traveled to Kansas last fall and I spoke at a college. I always thought I would hate speaking in front of groups but now I really enjoy it.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

For aspiring writers, don’t just bask in the praise of your family and friends. Of course they love your stuff. Take creative writing classes first, and then find a good critique group or workshop with a teacher or leader who will give constructive criticism. Don’t waste time defending your material; consider the suggestions carefully because most of the time they’re just what your story needs to make it work. (It’s amazing how often you think you’ve made things clear, yet listeners might be confused) If you find a compatible group, don’t show your drafts to other people because their opinions will be different and can really mess you up.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Wilma, for sharing your journey with us. I'm like you; I like the polishing part best. But I love your parting words about the critique group. I love my crit partners and couldn't get along without them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this interview, Ane and Wilma. Thank you and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ana and Wilma thatnks for the great interview...I'm happy to find someone who writes at night like I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful interview...I'd love to read her book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the interview. Your books sound wonderful! You sleep until you wake naturally? Oh, that sounds wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our book club just finished reading The Jade Bracelet. We live in Clovis. Would you be able to come and talk with us in February?

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.