Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Author Interview ~ Merrillee Whren

Merrillee Whren is an award-winning author who in 2003 she won the Golden Heart Award presented by Romance Writers of America for best inspirational romance manuscript. Her first book, THE HEART’S HOMECOMING was a finalist in the More Than Magic Contest. Merrillee has lived in Spokane, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, and Chicago and now resides in Florida. When she isn’t writing, she works part-time for her husband’s recruiting firm or enjoys walking on the beach, playing tennis or doing a little yard work. She is married to her own personal hero, her husband of thirty plus years, and has two grown daughters.

What new book or project would you like to tell us about?

I have a book, LOVE WALKED IN, coming out in December 2006 from Steeple Hill Love Inspired. It’s the story of Beth Carlson, single mom, who has her hands full with a teenage son. She doesn’t have time for romance, especially with her new neighbor, Clay Reynolds, who is only in town for a few months. Besides, she learned long ago that love doesn’t last. But Clay is good to her and her son and has helped her with her faltering faith, and he makes her wonder whether she’s been wrong about God and love.


For those who have read my first book, THE HEART’S HOMECOMING, my December book is set in the same fictional town of Pinecrest, Washington.

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I wrote my first novel when I was in high school, but it wasn’t until many years later that I thought about writing for publication. I always loved reading romances because I wanted a happy ending. After reading dozens of romances, I decided that I could write one, too. I started writing long hand in a spiral notebook. This was around 1984, and thankfully, not long after that, I was able to get a personal computer otherwise I may never have had the endurance to type a whole manuscript, as I am a terrible typist.

I wrote off and on, mostly on, for the next twenty years. I submitted to publishers and entered lots of contests. During that time period, I wrote and rewrote eight books. I sold book number eight and eventually sold book number six. Book number seven won the RWA Inspirational Golden Heart Award in 2003, and I still hope to sell that book. The other books were my practice books, but parts of THE HEART’S HOMECOMING, my first book, came from book number five.

Here's my call story. February 20, 2004, a Friday, I went to get my haircut and stopped to pay our water bill. When I got home, I saw the light blinking on the answering machine. I punched the button to play the message. "This is Diane Dietz from Steeple Hill. Please call me." My heart was racing, and I was thinking this has got to be THE CALL. (I missed it!!!) My husband was busy on his business phone and didn't answer our home phone while I was gone. Then I thought maybe she wasn’t calling to buy my book, but I thought surely she wouldn't call unless she wanted to buy the book. (Was I a little neurotic or what?)

My hubby was still on the phone, so I couldn’t scream or talk to him. Instead, I got teary eyed and waited around until he got off the phone. I told him Diane Dietz called and I think she wants to buy my book. He said call her back. I said, “I'm afraid. What if she's not calling to buy the book?” He just shook his head. I told him I’d call when I got myself together. So I took a few minutes to calm myself down. Then I punched in the number, hands shaking. She answered and asked me if I was sitting down. I was. She said, "I'd like to offer you a contract on Second Chances."

At least I think that's what she said. I had to be very calm because hubby was still on his business line just up the stairs. I said that's fabulous. I think she was a little disappointed that I was so calm. I told her I'd taken plenty of time to calm myself down after I listened to her message. Anyway, she went into details about money, time lines of revisions, option book, publication, etc. And she explained some of the revisions they wanted. After going over all this, I told her I’d call her back that afternoon.

After I hung up and hubby wasn't on the phone, I screamed, "THEY WANT TO BUY MY BOOK." Our younger daughter just happened to call to talk to her dad about business stuff. I told her I had sold my book. I called my mother-in-law. She was thrilled because she knew how long I've been at this. (She can't understand why they haven't bought my Golden Heart book. She did proofreading for me on that book and loved it.) Minutes later, older daughter called to say congrats. I later called back and accepted the contract.

During the rest of the afternoon, I sent emails to everyone I could think of to let them know I'd sold. Then I went for my walk so I could burn off some of the adrenaline. The weather finally turned nice so I could walk at the beach. I was grinning from ear to ear, but I resisted the urge to go up to complete strangers on the beach and tell them I'd sold my first book. I came home did my lower body workout. Believe me I had lots of energy. I finally saw the flowers my girls sent while I was out walking. I couldn't believe they got there so quickly.

Hubby and I went out to dinner to celebrate. What a day!

Do you still have self-doubts about your writing?

Always. Each time I start a new book, I wonder whether it will be any good. I feel like I’ll always be learning to write better.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

Absolutely. One of the hardest rejections that I had to deal with was one where the publisher had my manuscript for nearly a year. I was so sure that I would sell that book. I think getting my hopes up during that prolonged wait made the rejection that much more difficult. I almost quit writing after that rejection. It was at then that I did some real soul searching.

After writing for so many years, I was wondering whether I should give up. Was God trying to tell me that I wasn't cut out for writing? That I should use my time in some other way? In 2003, I had entered the Romance Writers of America Golden Heart Contest. I had entered this contest several times before and never came close to being a finalist. The thought kept going through my mind to lay a fleece before the Lord. "Lord, if you want me to continue writing, let me win the Golden Heart." I have to admit I was afraid to pray that prayer because if I didn't win that meant God didn't want me to write.

I wasn't sure I could give it up even though many times I became so discouraged I wanted to give up. But I always came back to it. Even though I didn't pray that prayer, God knew what was in my heart. In 2003 I won the Golden Heart for best inspirational romance manuscript. A few months later I sold my first book. I didn't even sell that Golden Heart winner. I still hope to sell that one.

What mistakes did you make while seeking a publisher or agent?

I think my biggest mistake was taking too long to follow-up on submissions.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

Don’t give up.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?

“This book isn’t saleable.” This comment about my second book, AN UNEXPECTED BLESSING, made me more determined to sell it.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

Before I was published my pet peeve was waiting so long for responses.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

I’m not sure having known something earlier would have helped. I really feel God had a time for me to be published.

What are a few of your favorite books?

I can’t say that I have any favorites. I love all the books that I finish. If the book doesn’t grab me in the first 100 pages, I don’t finish it. I don’t want to waste my reading time that is harder to find now, since I have deadlines of my own.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has spoken to you lately in regards to your writing?

2 Corinthians 4:7 (NIV) “But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God.” This verse reminds me of the power of the gospel that I have the privilege to share in each of my stories.

Can you give us a look into a typical day for you?

I have no typical day. Each day is different for me. Tuesdays and Thursdays I sometimes play tennis in the morning. Wednesday morning is Community Bible Study. The other mornings I often do some work for my husband’s recruiting firm. I do most of my serious writing in the evening. If I’m on a tight deadline, I may closet myself away in our bedroom with my laptop and write most of the day.

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

When I’m on a deadline, I do have a daily goal. It’s usually somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 words per day.

Are you an SOTP (seat of the pants) writer or a plotter?

SOTP

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

Getting letters and e-mails from readers is my favorite part. Promotion is my least favorite part.

How much marketing do you do? What's your favorite part of marketing?

I don’t do a lot. I have bookmarks made and send those out to family, friends and groups who are looking for promo items for goody bags.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

Give God the glory.

6 comments:

  1. What a journey, Merrillee! I chuckled when you said you resisted the urge to tell strangers. I'm not sure I'd be able to. :o) It made me think of the scene from the musical Annie, where the gal sings We Got Annie, but changing the words to I Got A Contract. Thanks again for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Merrillee! Great interview. Exciting, your "call" story.

    I chuckled when you said you don't do a lot of marketing.

    Folks, Merrille has beautiful glossy full-color bookmarks, and she hands them out to everyone. Great marketing. Great promo. Merrillee and I were at University of North Florida the other night waiting for Nora Roberts to arrive and speak, and Merrillee handed out lots of bookmarks to people all around us, telling them, "I'm an author too," and with that characteristic sparkle on her face, they were impressed. I loved it. Here, I'm known as a promo queen, and what she did inspired me.

    Thanks, Novel Journey, for bringing us Merrillee's story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing with us. I enjoyed your interview. Nice author pic btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ane,
    Thanks for posting the interview. I'm a little slow getting over here. I haven't been checking e-mail because I've been doing Christmas decorations. I should be writing. LOL
    Merrillee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristy,
    You are too kind.
    Merrillee

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.