Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Author Interview ~ Al Lacey

Al Lacy has written more than one hundred historical and western novels, including those in the Angel of Mercy, Battles of Destiny, and Journeys of the Stranger series. He and his wife, JoAnna, are coauthors of the Mail Order Bride, Hannah of Fort Bridger, Shadow of Liberty, Orphan Trains, Frontier Doctor, and Dreams of Gold series. The Lacys make their home in the Colorado Rockies.








What new book or project would you like to tell us about?


The latest book off the press is entitled “CHEROKEE ROSE”, which is the first in a new trilogy called “A PLACE TO CALL HOME”, written by myself and my wife, JoAnna, who has been my co-author since 1997. “CHEROKEE ROSE” is the story of the “Trail of Tears” when the North Carolina Cherokee Indians were forced by the United States government to leave their home and travel all the way to Indian Territory, which is now the state of Oklahoma. The following two books in the trilogy, “BRIGHT ARE THE STARS” and “THE LAND OF PROMISE” follow the lives of the Cherokees in Indian Territory, as well as other tribes who were forced to live there, and the joys and sorrows they experienced. Woven into the stories is the effect of the gospel of Jesus Christ in many of their lives.

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I wrote my first novel (a Western) in 1980, and I sold it to one of the nation’s largest publishers immediately when it was presented to them by my agent.

What mistakes did you make while seeking a publisher or agent?

None. I prayed for the Lord’s guidance, and He led me in a way that made it work out perfectly.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

When I was in high school, my English teachers told me I had a way with words, and should consider a writing career. In my junior and senior years, I wrote a column in the high school newspaper. When I was in Bible college, preparing for the ministry, my English professors told me I should consider writing Christian novels. I did write plays for the drama class in college. The advice I received from both high school and college teachers paid off when I began writing novels.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?

I don’t recall ever getting any bad advice.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

Writing novels is only a sideline in my life. I was a pastor for eleven years, then the Lord put me into evangelism, which I have been doing for thirty-four years. I love writing, and have absolutely no pet peeves about it.

Was there ever a difficult set back that you went through in your writing career?

When I had written a total of forty-seven western novels for two of the largest secular publishers in this country, both publishers told me that I had to start putting profanity and sex in my books. I quit them immediately. This was in 1989. Being in evangelism, I was using most of the money I made in writing novels to build a fund for retirement. This was a setback, but the Lord gave my wife and me peace, that everything would be all right.

In 1992, a pastor for whom I was preaching a meeting (who had read many of my clean secular western novels) suggested that I write Christian historical novels, and recommended that I contact Multnomah Publishers. I did, and after some people at Multnomah had read some of my westerns that they had asked me to send them, Don Jacobson, president of Multnomah contacted me, and said he wanted me to write for Multnomah. I have been writing for them since 1992. I have now written sixty-one novels for them, and am still writing. My wife, JoAnna, has co-authored thirty-three of those sixty-one novels with me. The setback of 1990 was actually a blessing!

What are a few of your favorite books?

I learned how to write western and historical books by reading secular writers, such as Jack London, Zane Grey, Ernest Haycox, Louis L’Amour, and Max Brand. My favorite books by these men are: Jack London’s “The Call of the Wild”–- Zane Grey’s “Wildfire”–- Ernest Haycox’s “Stagecoach”–- Louis L’Amour’s “Law of the Desert Born”–- and Max Brand’s “Gunfighter’s Return”.

What work have you done that you’re especially proud of and why?

All of the novels that JoAnna and I write for Multnomah have the gospel of Jesus Christ in them, and we have been contacted by a great number of people who have come to know Jesus as Saviour through our novels. The one that has touched more hearts on this matter–- as far as we can tell–- is from a series we did called “Mail Order Bride”... Book #8, “A Measure of Grace”. I am especially proud of this book because of what it accomplished in the lives of so many dear people for their eternal destiny.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has spoken to you lately in regards to your writing?

Yes. JoAnna and I pray for God’s guidance as we continue to write our Christian novels. Our desire is to point the lost to Jesus, and to strengthen Christians as they go through their trials and hardships in this life. This Scripture is a real help:
Psalm 32:8–- I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go. I will guide thee with mine eye.

Can you give us a look into a typical day for you?

A typical day for me, as far as my novel writing is concerned, is to work at my computer on the novels about seven hours a day when I am home. When I am in evangelistic meetings, I carry a laptop computer with me, but usually can only work on the novels about three hours a day.

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

With the synopses and outlines for the novels, it is difficult to set a word or page goal... but when I am writing the manuscript, my goal is to write a chapter of 8-10 pages each writing day, which is usually four or five days a week.

Are you an SOTP (seat of the pants) writer or a plotter?

I am definitely a plotter.

What author do you especially admire and why?

I have already given you my favorite secular writers. My favorite Christian writer is Gilbert Morris. I like the way he puts a story together and keeps you turning pages.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

My favorite part of being a writer is seeing my books (and OURS, since JoAnna is my co-author, now) having an effect on people’s lives for the Lord. My least favorite part of being a writer is that being limited on time, I can’t write more books.

How much marketing do you do? What's your favorite part of marketing?

I don’t do any actual marketing. I tell the crowds I preach to all over the English-speaking world about our books, but there is not any actual marketing done.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

Keep up the good work!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for this interview. Wow! I'd love to be able to answer those first two questions exactly the same way some day. Sounds like putting God first, spending lots of time writing, and reading lots of good books is the advice here. Good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I interviewed Gilbert Morris. He's delightful. Makes you laugh. I like his book, How to Write and Sell A Christian Novel. He gives some good tips about plotting novels.

    May God bless you richly for propagating the gospel! My husband and I pastor a church, so my heart is in ministry, like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for teh interview, Al. I gleaned much from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your postitive input, Al. I pray that God will guide me as He did you when I pursue publication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been a fan of Mr Lacy's since I was 6 years old. He came to a church my parents and I belonged to at the time in Independence,MO and a whole new world was opened to me. Twenty-nine years later I am still a fan. Thank you Mr Lacy for changing my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pastor Al and Jo,Remember the 1970's,without your preaching the gospel of Christ at DBT, where would I and my family be, the thought scares me. I think off you and your family all the time. Everyon should hear you preach at least once in their lifetime, they should also met Clyde, he was always great and the children loved him. When I read your and Jo's books and can hear you preaching. I will always love you and Jo as your are my daddy in Christ. Monette Fogle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Joanne and Al, I just wanted you both to know my mother loved your books. I purchased the entire Mail Order Bride series one year for her for a Christmas gift. She told me all year long how much she enjoyed reading those books.

    She has gone on to her heavenly home and I am listing the books on eBay. I spent some time looking for information about you to let the buyers know about the Christian theme and awesome work you do. That's how I happened upon this interview.

    God's richest blessings upon you both. You have been a blessing to my family.

    Sincerely, Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.