Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Author Interview ~ Allison Pittman


Allison Pittman is the author of Ten Thousand Charms, the first book in the Crossroads of Grace Series from Multnomah Publishers. Writing Christian fiction is a new career for Allison, who taught English at Judson High School for 16 years. She is a founding member and co-president of the Christian Writers Group of the Greater San Antonio area where writers meet weekly, studying craft and working toward publication. She also serves as the director of her church’s Theater Arts Group ministry, writing scripts for worship services and full-length programs for the Christmas season. Allison and her husband Mike have three wonderful sons—twins Jack and Ryan, and Charlie.

What new book or project would you like to tell us about?


My first novel, Ten Thousand Charms is out in bookstores now. It was released in May, and has been doing well (better than I expected, actually, given all the precautionary language that floats around a first release). It is the first in a series called “The Crossroads of Grace.” The second book, Speak Through the Wind is due out in March, 2007.

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

Compared to other stories I’ve heard, by publishing journey was a relatively easy one. Before settling into writing Christian fiction, I knew I wanted to write something; I just didn’t know what. Writing fiction fit my life at the time—no deadlines or hard commitments. I fiddled around with Charms for several years (thinking, nobody’s ever going to read this anyway), but my first pitch to Multnomah at the Glorieta Christian Writers Conference was a successful one. My editor, Rod Morris, was interested in the project (which consisted of only 7 chapters at the time). He asked me to submit a proposal, which I didn’t do because during the ensuing year, I only added a few more chapters. At the next year’s conference, I spoke with him again, and he still liked the story. Still wanted a proposal. This time, I followed through. By the next year’s conference, I was just a few conversations away from a 3-book contract.

Do you still have self-doubts about your writing?

You have no idea. It’s paralyzing. I’ll agonize for weeks about what to write for my website journal—never mind that in doing so I’m leaving the same entry up for far too long. Everything just sounds so stupid in my head, I can’t imagine the journey through my fingers to my keyboard guarantees any substantial improvement. Going through the editing process on my first book meant a wave of nausea every time I had a new batch of chapters back from my editor. For the first read-through, I put my hands over my eyes and look through my fingers. When I write skits for my church drama ministry, I watch the actors who are performing my scripts, and I can hardly breathe until I get the first bit of audience laughter. Yeah, I have doubts.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

Yes, but frankly, all of those thoughts came before I actually got started. I spent a lot of time swearing that I was never going to write, could never be published, had no talent, wasn’t willing to make the sacrifices…all before I had that first taste of success and acceptance. Since then, there’s been no looking back.

What mistakes did you make while seeking an editor or agent?

I don’t have an agent right now, and if that’s a mistake, time will tell. In selecting an editor? Absolutely no mistakes. None. The aspects of my novel that receive the most praise from my readers are those aspects that were suggested by my editor.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

Hmmm…I’ve heard so much. But for writing fiction, I think it’s this: there’s a huge difference between what you (the author) need to know about a character’s back story and what the reader needs to know. Include background information sparingly and judiciously. Make it a part of who the character is now, without necessarily explaining why.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?

“Write what you know.” What I know is boring. Instead, write what you wish you’d known.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

I do, but let me first give a disclaimer saying that this is something I see declining. For a long time, I think Christian fiction focused more on bouncing the Gospel between beautiful, upright people, rather than crafting compelling stories. That’s changing. A lot. We’ve got sinners and suspense and the supernatural all happening now.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

I’m still so new in this career, I have no idea if I’m in need of “saving.” Make me a deal? Ask me to do a new interview when Book #3 comes out, and I’m sure I’ll have a lot to say!

Was there ever a difficult set back that you went through in your writing career?

Last year, trying to finish Book #2, teach school full time, being a wife and mom—it was all so, so hard. Our household was crazy, and I was a stressed-out mess.

What are a few of your favorite books?

I love A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Margaret Smith. I read it at least once a year. It is a perfect, perfect story.

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett should be required reading by anybody who wants to write a novel. She has a cast of perfectly crafted characters in what amounts to a massive crowd scene (which are bears to execute), and she moves through POV changes like Gene Kelly dancing on the “tab” key. It is pure craft and magic. And I actually had a girly crush on her character, Son, in The Patron Saint of Liars. I found myself giggling and blushing during his more charming scenes.

I’ve read everything written by Anne Tyler. She makes Baltimore, MD seem almost other-worldly. The Accidental Tourist and The Amateur Marriage are masterful.

If it weren’t for Lynn Austin’s Eve’s Daughters, I wouldn’t be writing Christian fiction. That book made me want to join her ranks.

What work have you done that you’re especially proud of and why?

I am, of course, proud of my first novel and the warm reception it’s getting out there, but I have to say that I’m also pleased with the writing I’ve done for our church’s Theater Arts Group—especially the Christmas programs. A few years ago I wrote one that is a true Abbot and Costello-esque comedy that was absolutely hilarious. Our Christmas Eve audience is about 2,000 people, so it’s nerve-wracking, but tremendously rewarding. It’s immediate gratification with laughter and applause.


Do you have a scripture or quote that has spoken to you lately in regards to your writing?

Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. [Ecclesiastes 9:7] I took a great step out on faith and took a year off teaching to complete my third novel, feeling completely that it was what God wanted me to do.

Can you give us a look into a typical day for you?

I really don’t have a typical day. I can give you all of the elements, but they don’t occur in any particular order. There’s time spent in prayer and reading my Bible, brushing my teeth, making meals and snacks and cleaning up, going to baseball or soccer practice and games, watching TV (I’m an American Idol-aholic), training my dog, loving my husband. Oh yeah. Writing.

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

I’m a feast-and-famine girl there. I can go for weeks without writing anything, then hole myself up for a weekend and slam out four chapters. I’m part of a critique group, and we owe each other 12 pages every Monday to be taken home for review. If nothing else—no matter what was going on—I made sure I had my 12 pages for my group.

Are you an SOTP (seat of the pants) writer or a plotter?

I’m a plotter with really good intentions. Unfortunately, I’m somewhat of an ADHD plotter, and once I’ve plotted something out, I often forget to rein in my characters and they’ll take me a bit off course. I’ve gotten some of my best scenes that way. Want real laugh? Read through my original synopses for Ten Thousand Charms and Speak Through the Wind. Then read the book. The two are little more than distant cousins.

What author do you especially admire and why?

I alluded to them in an earlier question…but they bear repeating. Ann Patchett for her craft. Anne Tyler for sheer story-telling. Lynn Austin for being so fantastic in the realm of Christian fiction. Maeve Binchy is masterful at handling huge numbers of characters and intricate story lines; when you read her books, you have no idea how many people, places and plots your brain is being asked to keep track of. If you stopped to think about it, you’d go crazy. And, my personal hero, Laura Ingalls Wilder for being so honest and brave.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

My favorite part is anytime anybody says, “I loved your book…” followed by some specific tid-bit. My least favorite? Convincing my husband that I’m working!

How much marketing do you do? What's your favorite part of marketing?

I don’t do nearly enough. Much of that goes back to the self-doubt in the earlier question. Plus, I’ve never really liked to call a lot of attention to myself. Guess I’ll have to learn to do that. But really, I think I need to get a hold of a good publicist or agent—somebody who will just tell me where to go and what to do. I’m most comfortable in my flamingo shorts and purple t-shirt, pounding away on my keyboard.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

It is virtually impossible to publish something that hasn’t been written. You aren’t allowed to say that you want to be a writer unless you are in a directed habit of committing words to paper (or screen!) Keep at it, and find an audience. Remember, though, an audience is somebody who is blessed by your words, not somebody who pays for them.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Allison, for taking time to share with us. I had to laugh at how you hold your breath until you hear the frist bits of laughter from the congregation. I'm drama director for my church, and the one who writes all our dramas. Boy, did I realate! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison said, "It is virtually impossible to publish something that hasn’t been written. You aren’t allowed to say that you want to be a writer unless you are in a directed habit of committing words to paper (or screen!) Keep at it, and find an audience. Remember, though, an audience is somebody who is blessed by your words, not somebody who pays for them."

    Wow, this packs a punch! Thanks, Allison, for sharing. Thanks for a great interview. Thanks for encouraging ME today in my novel journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allison and Ane, thank you for that.

    Admitting your self-doubts I'm sure will speak to many who feel the same. I myself have the opposite problem. I keep holding manuscript signings and you'd be surprised at how few people have been showing up. :)

    Great idea with the crit group having to hand in 12 pages every week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say just one more thing about my critique group. (Sorry, no conversation with me is ever really "over!") If I didn't have my writing group, this book would never have been completed. There's an amazing power that comes with the gathering of a group of like-minded people. It's a powerful source of accountability and support. If you're not part of a writers group...start one!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.