Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Author Interview ~ Wanda Brunstetter

Wanda Brunstetter began writing in 1980, after taking the "Writing for Children and Teenager's" study course from The Institute of Children's Literature. Since that time, she's had several hundred stories, articles, poems, word puzzles, devotions, monologues, and puppet plays published with a variety of publishers.






Tell us about your two newest series, The Daughters of Lancaster County and The Brides of Lancaster County.


The Daughters of Lancaster County is a series of 3 books, beginning with The Storekeeper’s Daughter. The second book is The Quilter’s Daughter, and the final book is The Bishop’s Daughter. All three books center around the kidnapping of an Amish child that occurred in Book 1. Naomi Fisher, the storekeeper’s daughter, feels responsible for this tragedy, and we follow her and other family members throughout the three books, as they ride a roller-coaster of emotions and learn to deal with the heartbreak of losing Zach. We also hear from the one who kidnapped the baby and learn what struggles he must face because of his unplanned deed.

The Brides of Lancaster County is a revised/expanded version of a book I wrote several years ago called, Lancaster Brides, which is now out of print. In that book there were four shorter stories about four Amish women who were interrelated. In the new Brides of Lancaster County series, each of the books will be published separately as longer, full-length novels. The basic plots from the original stories are still there, but many new scenes have been added, as well as an Amish recipe at the end of each book. The first book is called A Merry Heart, and it’s about an Amish schoolteacher with a bitter spirit. The next three books, Looking for a Miracle, Plain and Fancy, and The Hope Chest are about relatives of the woman from the first book. Each story involves a situation where the main character must rise above some kind of physical or emotional struggle in order to find peace and love.

Have you had any personal experience or contact with the Amish during your research? How else do you research?

I have made friends with several Amish people, and also with some who used to be Amish or have family members who left the Amish faith. These people have graciously answered any questions, and they enjoy reading my books, as well. Another way I do research is by visiting Amish communities around the country, where I can see the Amish at work and play. I’ve also found some helpful information in updated Amish research books.

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I took my first writing course in 1980, and by 1981 I had sold a short children’s story to a Mennonite publication for one of their Sunday school take-home papers. In 1996, I had my first novel accepted for publication with Barbour Publishing’s Heartsong Presents Book Club. I found out through a letter that was sent to me from the editor of the book club, and later she phoned to discuss the details of the contract. I was surprised, thrilled, nervous, and grateful to God for allowing me such a wonderful opportunity to share the words He had given me to write.

Do you still experience self-doubts about your writing?

Like most authors I know, I have moments of self-doubt, wondering if my books are really touching lives, concerned that I might not make my deadlines, and anxious about whether I’ll be able to come up with new and exciting stories in the future. But then I’m reminded that God is there, guiding, directing, and walking with me every step of the way.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

I have never actually thought seriously about quitting, but I have had moments of questioning my abilities.

What mistakes did you make while seeking an editor or agent?

I’m not sure that I made any mistakes, as I believe God opened the doors for my first book to be published with the publisher and editor He had chosen for me.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

An author friend once shared a quote with me from an author of long ago that said, “In order to write a good book an author needs to make the reader laugh, make the reader cry, and make the reader wait.” I have tried to incorporate all three of those elements in each of my novels.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?

A newspaper reporter suggested that my books would be better if God wasn’t mentioned.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

Not really, but I do get a little frustrated by some reviews that are done by people who can’t say anything positive about a book and come across as though they have all the answers.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

I wish I had known sooner about the importance of having a computer, which I eventually discovered would link me not only to my publisher, but with all sorts of research opportunities. I also wish I’d had as many books on the craft of writing in my home library as I do now.

Was there ever a difficult set back that you went through in your writing career?

There was a two or three year period during the late 1980’s when I wasn’t able to write much because of some health issues I was facing, which have since been resolved. During that time of being unable to write I felt as if a part of me was missing. However, I believe God used that time to draw me closer to Him, which, in turn, has helped my ability to touch other people’s lives through my writing.

What are a few of your favorite books?

My favorite book to read as a child was Nancy and Plum by Betty McDonald. I read that book over and over again. I still have a copy of it in my home library. Some of my favorite adult novels are The Bluebird and the Sparrow by Janette Oke, Christy by Catherine Marshall, Danger in the Shadows by Dee Henderson, and Beyond Tuesday Morning by Karen Kingbury.

What work have you done that you’re especially proud of and why?

I’m pleased with my Daughters of Lancaster County series, because the story idea was born from an experience I had when my husband and I went to an Amish farm to get some homemade root beer. The young woman who waited on us left her little brother sitting on the picnic table alone with me while she went into the house for some cold root beer. It got me to thinking. . . What if I had been the kind of person who would kidnap a child? How easy would it have been for me to take the baby that had been left sitting on the picnic table with a total stranger?

Do you have a scripture or quote that has spoken to you lately in regards to your writing?

I have several scriptures and sayings tacked on a strip of corkboard above my computer, but one in particular speaks to me on a daily basis: “Just as I have been with Moses, I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you.” Joshua 1:5. Whenever I feel as if I’m failing or can’t complete a project, I’m reminded that God is with me and He will never leave.

Can you give us a look into a typical day for you?

I write fulltime, and a typical day for me usually begins around 8 A.M. with a quick breakfast, at which time I do some editing on the hard copy of my work in progress. Then I work at my computer until noon, take a lunch break, again doing some editing, and it’s back to the computer until time to begin supper. During my computer breaks, I will put a load of laundry in, make any necessary phone calls, pick up the day’s mail, etc. After supper, I return to my computer and work for a few more hours, ending the day in my lounge chair where I do some more editing on the hard copy of my manuscript. I try to reserve the weekends for errands, time with family, and rest, but occasionally, when under a tight deadline, I might do some writing on a Saturday. Sunday is my day of rest, when I go to church, enjoy my husband’s sermon, and get renewed of body, mind, and spirit.

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

When I’m writing the first draft of a novel, I usually shoot for a chapter per day. During the editing process I will edit anywhere from two to six chapters per day.

Are you an SOTP (seat of the pants) writer or a plotter?

I think I’m a little of both. I always have a chapter-by-chapter outline done up before I begin writing, as well as in-depth character sketches on each of the characters in my book. I use these to keep me on target with what’s supposed to happen, but during the first draft, I often deviate from what was in the outline, as my characters take over, and sometimes surprise me with a new twist or turn.

What author do you especially admire and why?

Karen Kingsbury, because she not only touches lives through her novels, but when she meets her readers in person she is personable and takes time for each one.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

My favorite part of being an author is being able to minister to others through the words God puts on my heart. My least favorite is trying to balance my time so that I’m able to meet all my deadlines, stay healthy and rested up, and spend time with my family.

How much marketing do you do? What's your favorite part of marketing?

I do as much marketing as possible, and my favorite part is doing book signings, where I get to meet my readers personally. I also enjoy putting together the information for my bi-monthly online newsletter that includes not only a list of my upcoming books, but information about the Amish way of life.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

My advice to any aspiring author is to find a topic to write about that you enjoy and feel others would enjoy knowing about, too. Learn all you can about that topic so that when questions are asked, you will know the right answers. Also, one must be ready to spend long hours of writing, editing, and honing their craft.

5 comments:

  1. Wow a chapter a day, huh? Thanks for this interview Ane and Wanda. Wanda, your books sell incredibly well. What do you think it is about Amish life that is so appealing?

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Wanda. Hi, Ane. Thanks for a great interview.

    Wanda, I'm thrilled for you, at what is happening in your writing life. I saw yesterday that you are #13 on the Christian Marketplace Bestsellers List with your Amish novel. Wow, is such a weak word for me to say, but wow, Wanda. Like I said, I'm so happy for you.

    I admire you in many ways. I think it's neat that you're writing Amish novels that people are loving while Bev Lewis is doing the same thing. It shows that there's room for an author to write the "stories of her heart" even though another author is writing about the same subject. There are hungry readers out there for Amish stories, which is proved by your success.

    Again, congrats. And best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice interview Wanda, I am so proud of you!! I am so glad the Lord has blessed you with sucess. You are a very special person. Your Friend Leeann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your interview and have enjoyed reading your books at Heartsong Presents.

    Nancy and Plum was a favorite childhood book of mine, too. I have been looking for a copy to read again for many years now.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this very interesting interview!

    Betty MacDonald, the author of Nancy and Plum and the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle-Series is beloved all over the world.
    There is a Betty MacDonald Fan Club with members in 23 countries.
    http://bettymacdonaldfanclub.blogspot.com

    There is also a Nancy and Plum Fan Club

    http://nancyandplumfanclub.blogspot.com/

    By the way there is a wonderful edition of Nancy and Plum with family photos available.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.