Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Friday, June 09, 2006

Your Publicist and You




When we started fiction publicity 101, Mary DeMuth made an excellent statement in reply to my first post.

She stated: "I did receive some good feedback from my other publicist. He told me that I had been a good client. I asked him what that meant since I had never done this publicity thing before. He said: because you return emails, because when we ask for a spin-off article, you write it that day, because you were willing to do any interview. A good relationship with a publicist, then, is a two-way street. A publicist can only do his/her job to the degree that you cooperate."

She's absolutely right. By making yourself readily available, you allow your publicist to open more doors.

So, how easy was that? Just go help your publicist. Don't you just love those pat answers. Okay, okay, so maybe it's not that easy, especially if you don't understand what it is a publicist does.

So let's break this down. As discussed, the marketing department is focusing on the paid placement—the prominent shelf space, the advertisements in magazines and newspapers, and etc. Your publicist, however, is working to obtain media coverage, which is free.

Like marketing, they are going to determine who your customer is and focus on how best to reach them--what shows they watch, what magazines they read. . . you get the picture.
They are going to determine what about you or your book will pique interest with reviewers, editors, and/or producers. They are keeping tabs on pop-culture and the news, as well as networking to develop relationships within the media. They are also creating opportunities and not just waiting for them (think contests and book signings.)

The more your publicist knows about you, the story behind your novel, your background, and your hobbies, the better able they are to spin a story to garner media interest. A good way to start your relationship is to discuss your expectations for the campaign and to make yourself readily available.

Coming up, we'll discuss the tools you can supply your publicist with and the components of a press kit for those working their own publicity.

3 comments:

  1. Jessica,

    I would add, too, that it would behoove every author to learn the ins and outs of publicity...at least a cursory understanding.

    If an author can think like a publicist, he or she is more likely to look for free publicity as well.

    I see it as a partnership. My publicist finds me media I can't find, and I also find media and contacts my publicist may not find. It's a tandem relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, Thanks again. Since I've joined pennies and started reading Novel Journey, I've learned new things every single day. Who knew what a vast, strange place the writing world is... and so much more to learn. I love getting the publicity education in little bites like this. It's about all I can handle. I'm also glad to be learning some of it BEFORE I actually need it, so that when I finish a good novel, I won't be completely clueless about what to do next. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jessica...this kind of relationship is all new to me.

    Writing helps rarely address this kind of interaction or the need for it!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.