Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Linda Wichman ~ Author Interview

Biased by her Celtic heritage, some of Linda’s (Holloway) Wichman’s fondest memories were spent in imaginary worlds behind the covers of a book. She sites Charles Dickens, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien and Mary Stewart to have influenced her. A (RWA) Romance Writers of America member, she became a Historical Romance Finalist in the 1984 (RWA) Golden Heart Contest. She is also an active affiliate of (ACFW) the American Christian Fiction Writers.

Her first published novel, Legend of the Emerald Rose, a historical fantasy romance, debuted January 2005 through Kregel Publications. In September 2005, Legend of the Emerald Rose won the ACFW 2005 Book of the Year for General Fiction at The American Christian Fiction Writers Conference in Nashville, Tennessee. More recently she became a finalist for The 2006 Christy Award — Visionary and a nominee in the 2006 International Retailers Choice Award — General Fiction.

What new book or project would you like to tell us about?

I have several, but will share two. I’m excited about the 2nd book of The Emerald Rose series, Briar’s Rose . . .The Legend Continues set during the 3rd Crusade. I adore feisty Tamar fitz Alan and Templar Knight, Somerled mac Gillebride — descendants of Shadoe and Rayn. I’m hoping all my research paid off, and the readers enjoy Stuart/Stewart lineage weaved into the ongoing legend of the Emerald Rose. 'Tis an intangible veil between truth and illusion . . .from what the eye perceives and the pure heart knows.

Also, I’m writing my first contemporary romance Catch A Falling Star. This modern story of two star-crossed lovers is infused with humor, romance, suspense, with the underlying theme of the horrific offense of incest, that often goes undetected or far worse, unpunished. I hope that besides enjoying an entertaining love story, some readers will find a healing solace from their own childhood abuse. Being a survivor of incest, I’m very much a part of the heroine, Eliza Smyth. “I’m a good girl, I am!” Eliza Doolittle –My Fair Lady.

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract?


I’ve been creating imaginary characters since I was five and began to write around eight. I’m fifty-three, so you can do the math. I started to pursue publication over twenty-five years ago. It’s been a remarkable journey of learning curves, most of them positive.

How did you find out and what went through your mind?

My agent called me and sounded pretty serious, upset even, and told me to sit down. So I dropped onto a stair rung and held my breath. Next thing I heard was, “Linda, Kregel wants to offer you a contact for LER. Whatcha think?”

Think!! Who could think? I literally went brain-dead. After nearly thirty years of wanting to hear these words I was speechless! Not something that often happens to me—the speechless part. I realized I had someone other than God, my critique partners and agent who believed I could tell a good story. This meant I had to fulfill a legal contract. I almost puked. Instead, I chewed some antacids, praised God, and then kissed my husband—stupid!

You're a Christy Award finalist. How was that process? How did you find out about being a finalist?

Although, I’d won the 2005 ACFW Book of the Year award, I never expected to final in another reader contest. Then I got a ‘congratulation email’ from my ACFW friend, Ronie Kendig, but figured she was sharing someone else’s good news. When I realized she meant me, I called her to verify she wasn’t on a caffeine high. Sure enough, it was for real! Finalizing in the Christy has further left me in awe of God’s sovereignty. He is faithful.

Do you still have self-doubts about your writing?

Always! The day I stop doubting will be the day I stop writing. I know that God blessed me with this aptitude and that I am to glorify Him with every word. But I share the same doubts most writers have. There are days I read what I wrote and think, ‘Man, oh, man, this stinks.’ Still, I don’t ever want to forget that in the blink of an eye God can take away this gift. Nor do I want over-confidence to hinder my footsteps on God’s narrow path. I am blessed to have family and friends with sharp hatpins for those times my head expands beyond my shoulders. They keep me humble.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

Yes, several times. I even asked God to take this desire from me as I realized that my marriage and family were suffering because I had become obsessive about writing. However, God never took the desire away, if anything, He cultivated that aspiration even stronger. He then opened my eyes to see that my priorities had to change. Once I put Him first, family second, and writing third, I became happier and more receptive to the fact God wanted me to write.

What mistakes did you make while seeking an editor or agent?

Oy! Let me count the ways. Don’t worry I won’t. But I’d rather relate something that was more of a learning curve than a mistake. As a finalist in the RWA 1984 Golden Heart contest several agents courted me. One was Sandra Brown’s agent—you know that New York best selling author. I almost signed with the agent but when she suggested I rewrite my novel, I said no. Yes, pathetic I know—Dumb, dumb, and dumber!


She actually wanted me to switch to contemporary romance, because historical romance had been tapped out. She was right. Yet again, I said no. We parted on good terms and have spoken over the years. I now realize that experience was a double-edged sword. Had I signed with her, I probably would have been published in the secular market.

Thankfully, God knows best. I was young, green, and because I wasn’t in a solid relationship with Jesus I wouldn’t have handled success in a mature Christian manner. Back then, I was writing bodice-ripper romances—my lame justification—was that my heroes and heroines were always married before those explicit sex scenes. Sad, huh? However, God knew the condition of my heart and was patiently grooming me to write for Him. To this day I remain grateful that I don’t have the baggage of erotic romance.

However, I suggest that if a respected agent wants to partner with you, buck-up and listen to him/her, coz, they have loads more publishing experience than you, a greenhorn author.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

Read! Read! Read! It’s the best writing exercise you can practice. Remember C.S. Lewis said, “We read to know we are not alone.” But as writers we also read to know what our readership do and don’t want to read.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?

Guess I’ll go with the most recent. “I can’t believe you’re wasting your time writing another Arthurian legend story. They’ve been done to death! Who in the world is going to read that dribble?” At the time, I felt devastated and discouraged. Now I smile!

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

Um, funny you should ask. I know I’m opening a can of worms, but here goes. As an author with a calling for outreach, I am frustrated that the CBA has cloistered itself from the mass secular market. My heart aches whenever I enter secular bookstores and find a scant handful of (Celebrity) Christian authors on the secular shelves, while the majority of us are shoved in a back corner called, ‘Inspirational Fiction.’


How in the world—literally, do we reach the lost, hungry souls who don’t frequent Christian Bookstores? Why can I find a romance with a hero/heroine that embrace Buddhism or New Age on the secular romance shelves but few Christian hero/heroines? So where should the blame fall?

Regretfully, the blames falls upon our own community of Christian publishers, authors, agents, and readers who don’t want to be linked with secular fiction, even on the store shelves. This is not a slam against edification, because I’m a huge supporter of edification fiction and read it every day. But my evangelistic heart remains restless. True, God set us a part from the world, but He didn’t intend for us not to be in the world. So, I loosely quote Francine Rivers about that very sensitive subject, “We did it to ourselves.”

I for one, commend Silhouette for placing Steeple Hill romances beside their other romance lines. Meanwhile, I continue to fantasize that someday we can enter the mission fields of secular bookstores and find our novels not just in the Inspirational section, but side-by-side a secular romance or vampire thriller. Thus, allowing non-believing readers the opportunity to choose between a well-written novel with the Message of Good News—or not. But that will never happen if we don’t make ourselves accessible to the souls God has called us reach for His namesake.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing?

That reading how-to-books, taking writing courses and workshops won’t magically make you a better writer; that only happens when you plant your derriere in front of your keyboard, apply what you’ve learned, and write every day—no matter what.

In publishing?

Agents and editors aren’t infallible. They are human beings who make mistakes just like the rest of us. Some are accountable, others aren’t. No matter how it goes down, learn to forgive, forget, and move on. And never, ever burn your bridges.

Was there ever a difficult set back that you went through in your writing career?

A few years after the RWA Golden Heart contest, I was in a car accident that resulted in a whiplash that triggered years of migraine headaches and neck pain. Eventually, I had two upper cervical surgeries and three knee surgeries. I spent about ten years not being able to write for any length of time nor pursue publication for fear I’d be unable to follow-through on a contracted deadline. During that time, God tutored me in patience, perseverance, and faithfulness.

Just when I had healed enough to write, I returned to the outside workforce to subsidize our children’s Christian high school education. I recall crying my heart out, but God planned those eight years for me to grow in my walk with Him. My experience in corporate sales exposed me to people and situations I’d never had encountered in front of my pc — more writing fodder. Again, I’m thankful to God for those growing pains and the great relationships I established.

What are a few of your favorite books?

Oy! So many. This Present Darkness, Frank Peretti. The Gleannmara Series, Linda Windsor. Arena, Karen Hancock. More recent – Dragonquest, Donita K. Paul. A Bride most Begrudging, Deeane Gist. Front Porch Princess, Kathryn Springer. Reluctant Burglar, Jill Nelson -- debuting August 2006.

What work have you done that you’re especially proud of and why?

Well, I’ve completed eight novels to date and started dozens more, but I confess that ‘Legend of the Emerald Rose’ will remain at the top of my ‘I am Proud List’ for a long time. Mostly, because it’s creative seeds were planted in me when at age ten I read, The Stone and the Sword, by T.H. White. I veraciously consumed everything on King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. Yet, it took about thirty-five years before I ventured to answer the question few authors have successfully pursued. What happened to Camelot after King Arthur died? The difference I believe is that my version has a happily-ever-after conclusion. At least, I hope that is how most readers feel.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has spoken to you lately in regards to your writing?

God speaks to me daily, but when I read 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 of The Message, I so related. “`Even though I am free of the demands and expectations of everyone, I have voluntarily become a servant to any and all in order to reach a wide range of people: religious, nonreligious, meticulous moralists, loose-living immoralists, the defeated, the demoralized — whoever. I didn’t take on their way of life. I kept my bearings in Christ — but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view. I’ve become just about every sort of servant there is, in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life. I did all of this because of the Message. I didn’t just want to talk about it; I wanted to be in on it!”

Yeah, that pretty much describes my writing, especially my Internet, secular fanfiction stories that reach thousands of readers everyday. But that’s another story . . .

Can you give us a look into a typical day for you?

Did you say typical? Gulp. See, I’m a SOTP author, but I do have a loose routine. 6:00-6:30 a.m. I stumble down the steps into my kitchen. If I arrive there before my hubby leaves for work I make a grand entrance of perkiness, but he’s long known I collapse on the sofa and snooze another half-hour. Then, I boot up my pc and while it’s doing its ‘thing,’ I get coffee and breakfast. Next I read, answer, and generate email. I’m usually writing by 7:00 a.m.

My structured time with God remains a WIP. I prefer to do that while I drink my coffee. But when I flounder, I break around 9:00 a.m. and sit with God for a while, then back to work.

I wrote LER listening to Celtic music and Michael W. Smith’s, instrumental ‘Freedom,’ CD. Mine’s in need of replacement. Guess what’s on my wish list?

Before I write, I usually read what I wrote the day before. When I need a break, I do housework or edit my critique partner's WIP. During the summer I sit on my back porch with the laptop and write until it gets too hot, then retreat inside.

I usually have a working lunch and write until 4:00 p.m. After supper I spend time with my hubby then return to writing and wind-down around 8:00 p.m.

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

No. I but I always have a date goal for the first draft — which varies. I tend to write faster and freer if I don’t have a daily word count. I know I can average 3-5 pages a day, more if I’m feeling frisky.

Are you an SOTP (seat of the pants) writer or a plotter?

SOTP. However, I am always plotting ideas and creating new novel folders. My imagination is on maximum overload. I’m A.D.D., but consider it a blessing for creativity. Don’t tell anyone, but I’ve become more structured in my old age, which scares my husband and worries my son and daughter.

What author do you especially admire and why?

C.S. Lewis. Because in a time when neither fantasy nor Christian allegory were popular, Clive crafted an unforgettable story about four children, a wardrobe, and a lion, that opened the floodgates for the rest of us. Still, it’s bittersweet that it took over 50 years for the world to publicly acknowledge this God-filled man. I like to think Jesus gave Clive an open wardrobe’s door to see how God used him for His glory in this immoral world.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

Favorite: I love the entire process of writing, especially the research and then the creative right brain part. I enjoy hearing from readers and writing back. I love to mentor new writers. I enjoy sharing what I’ve learned, and watching them develop into mature writers.

Least favorite: That like most artistic people I’m often not taken seriously. Many family and friends don’t consider writing an occupation, even though I’m now published.

How much marketing do you do?

Lots. I do interviews, book signings, and speaking engagements, etc. I regularly visit the local secular and Christian bookstores and know their managers. And yet, although I’m an extrovert, I’m not comfortable tooting my own horn. Go figure.

What's your favorite part of marketing?

Meeting new people.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

Today’s writers are contemporary bards. So, write the tale you’re yearning to tell. Because chances are that God branded that story on your heart long before it formed in your noggin. He is after all, the author of our lives.

6 comments:

  1. I am so excited to hear about a second Emerald Rose novel -- any word on when we might expect its release? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for doing this interview, Linda. I love your parting words of advice. Do you think I could quote you in a writer's devotional book I'm writing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Legend of the Emerald Rose, and I'm glad to find another writer who writes to Michael W. Smith's Freedom! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic interview. Thanks so much for sharing that amusing and transparent look into your heart and writing life. I love the grand entrance you make only to sneak a snooze. That's funny. I'll have to check out that book. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Linda, for takign the time to share your life with us. I loved your partign words of advice. Great thoughts. As a drama diva, I loved the bard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome intervew! Thanks, Linda and Ane (the dynamic red-headed duo)!

    Camy

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.