Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Joyce Livingston ~ Author Interview


In addition to being a wife, mother of six, and grandmother to oodles, Joyce Livingston has been a KANSAS television broadcaster for 18 years, a speaker/teacher of quilting and sewing, and a writer. As host and producer of KWCH TV's THE JOYCE LIVINGSTON SHOW and WOMAN'S WORLD, she's danced with Lawrence Welk, ice-skated with a Chimpanzee, had bottles broken over her head by stuntmen, and interviewed hundreds of celebrities and controversial figures.

Joyce recently became a widow, and praises God for her writing to help her get through her terrible loss. Three of her books have been named Contemporary Book of the Year in the Heartsong Readers Poll, and she was voted Favorite Author of the Year 3 times. In addition, her Heartsong book, One Last Christmas, won the coveted 2005 Contemporary Book of the Year award given by The American Christian Fiction Writers organization. Her first venture into a larger women's fiction book is THE WIDOWS' CLUB, also published by Barbour Publishing, soon to be followed up with a second book, INVASION OF THE WIDOWS' CLUB. She loves to hear from her friends and readers and invites you to visit her on the Internet at: www.joycelivingston.com or check out her blog and leave a comment at: www.joycelivingston.blogspot.com.


What new book or project would you like to tell us about?

Of course, THE WIDOWS’ CLUB, which is in stores now and available on the internet as well, is my most current release so it is near and dear to my heart. I have several Heartsongs and Anthologies coming out yet this year but the book I’m working on now – is the one my mind is wrapped up in. It is the 2nd book in the Widow’s Club series, its title is INVASION OF THE WIDOW’S CLUB, and picks up right where the first book leaves off, although they are both stand alone novels.

I’ve had such fun writing these books. Though widowhood is not something we ever want to face, it is a distinct possibility it will happen in a woman’s life. It is sad for sure, but the facing and adjusting to widowhood has its really funny side too. Especially if you take a mix of widows of all ages and combine them into The Widows’ Club. I think women of all ages will like these books, whether they are a widow or not, especially Barbie Baxter who throws my heroine Valentine Denay’s life into utter chaos with her quirky, self-centered ways. We all have, or have had, a Barbie in our lives at one time or another.

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I wrote my first romance novel in 1986 and did everything wrong. Sent it off to Harlequin and got a 2 page rejection from the Senior Editor (who is still there) telling me what I should do to fix it. Dumb me, I didn’t realize that was a wonderful thing, and I should have done what she asked and, instead, put it in the closet and left it there. I never tried writing a novel again until about 1997, after I’d gotten quite a few publishing credits by writing and selling magazine articles. With that new found confidence, I decided to try it again.

I wrote 2 complete 70K romance novels, submitted them to LI and got 2 very nice rejections! Through the Lord’s intervention, I met Tracie Peterson at an RWA chapter meeting, she told me she was the acquiring editor and would like to see them. Two days later, she said if I cut the story down to 50K, she was ready to buy it! AMAZING! She bought it, and a few months later, bought the 2nd one. That was about 28 or 30 books ago! I later also sold a book to Love Inspired. What went through my mind? Shock! Panic! Thankfulness! Feelings of inadequacy! But most of all – the thrill of selling!

Do you still have self-doubts about your writing?

Yes, and always will have. Over my computer, I have a saying posted: God doesn’t always call those who are qualified. Sometimes, He calls us and then qualifies us. That’s me! I’m still in awe that someone would buy my books, though I do feel the Lord gives me the ideas and inspirations for each one.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

NO! I love it too much!

What mistakes did you make while seeking an editor or agent?

I think I did alright with the editor seeking, but I never sought an agent. I never felt like I was ready for one, or one was ready for me! My agent, Carolyn Grayson of the Ashley Grayson Agency, and her husband sought me at the airport in New Orleans after an RWA conference. They approached me and said they’d like to represent me. It took me a full year to decide to take them up on their offer. However, I inserted in my contract that they NOT act as my agent in anything I did for Barbour, since I didn’t really need them there, but she did represent me with the book I sold to Love Inspired. She is still my agent but, so far, I haven’t used her services again. Though I may in the future.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

That one is easy. I tell it to every aspiring author. Find a publisher that publishes what you want to write and then WRITE to their guidelines, submitting the most perfect proposal/synopsis you’re capable of doing.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?

Several authors, who were already published with secular publishers, told me it was the kiss of death to have my first books published by a Christian Publisher, that it would brand me and I’d never get published by the others. I laughed then and I’m still laughing. I’ve had around 30 books (maybe more, have lost track) contracted and more to come….and all of those who gave me that advice are no longer being published – by any publisher. I’d rather write for the Lord! Where He puts me!

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

Yes. Those who have not been published but feel the need to dole out advice to others who are not yet published, as if they are authorities on the subject. I see some terrible advice given on some of the email loops that can do nothing but harm a would-be writer. A little knowledge can be dangerous. And I also get upset with those who post their little tidbits, forgetting that, sometimes, editors are on those loops. They shoot themselves down without realizing it because they haven’t thought things through.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

Another easy question! If I’d been smart enough to realize that original Senior Editor wanted me to do revisions on that first book, and I’d done them and sent it back in…I may have been published years ago. Or – maybe not! But I’ll never know. I did remind her about that incident several years ago at a conference. She said – if she liked it well enough to sent me 2 pages on how to correct it – she would like to see it again. The updated and modernized version of course. I still have it. Someday I may do just that.

Was there ever a difficult set back that you went through in your writing career?

Not really a set back in my career. Praise the Lord I’ve turned out as many books as I could find the time to write, but I did suffer a slight setback in my writing time and interest when I lost my husband 20 months ago. He was my #1 fan and encourager. I miss him terribly, but at least I’ve gotten pretty much back on track with my writing.

What are a few of your favorite books?

Oh, my! Where do I start? I love a book, Logan’s Child, Lenore Worth wrote a number of years ago. I love all the books Carla Cassidy has written, and so many of my fellow author’s books, I hesitate to list them for fear I’ll leave someone out. When I was a kid, I read all the fairy tale books I could get my hands on. Maybe that’s what sparked some of my creativity.

What work have you done that you’re especially proud of and why?

I self-published 5 non-fiction books and marketed them myself, which I’m proud to say, but as a TV broadcaster, I had a built-in audience of buyers. Of my fiction books, I would have to say 2 of my Heartsong books: ONE LAST CHRISTMAS, which won the coveted American Christian Fiction Writer’s Contemporary Book of the Year in 2005, and DOWN FROM THE CROSS, which was named Contemporary Book of 2005 by the Heartsong Readers. Also, I’m very proud of the fact that Barbour choose DOWN FROM THE CROSS as their kick-off book for their new audiobook line. Those books were definitely inspired of the Lord.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has spoken to you lately in regards to your writing?

I choose a scripture verse for each book I write, so that scripture is the one that speaks to me at that particular time. As to a quote? Yes, I keep this posted above my computer too, and it is appropriate for every romance novel I write. Love thrives in the face of all life’s hazard, except one. Neglect. So, so true!

Can you give us a look into a typical day for you?

Up about 7. I’m reading my Through the Bible In a Year Bible through again, but I like to read it in about 6-8 months instead of 12, so I read at least 2-4 days of reading each morning before I do anything else. Eat a bowl of oatmeal, give my condo a quick going over, then check email and blog. After that – it’s all writing! I spend from 8 to as many as 12 hours in front of the computer a day, or sitting up in bed reading and revising. Other than dropping things and spending time with my big family when they drop by (which is often), writing and going to church and church activities is pretty much my life now that my husband is gone.

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

No. Just write until I feel it’s time to quit.

Are you an SOTP (seat of the pants) writer or a plotter?

Definitely a plotter. I actually love to write a long synopsis (chapter by chapter ) before I start. I don’t stay exactly with it, and I branch out in all directions, sometimes bringing in totally new, unexpected characters, but that synopsis becomes my road map and really helps me to keep focused. I believe in giving my editors the story they bought.

What author do you especially admire and why?

So many, but I guess it would be Karen Kingsbury. She writes real…that’s what I want to do.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

Um, I can’t even think of a downside here, although a couple of revisions I’d had to do lately have made me a bit woozy. I love the entire writing process.

How much marketing do you do? What's your favorite part of marketing?

My background in Television should make me a marketer and promoter of my work, but I’m afraid I have been so caught up with the heavy writing schedule I’ve had since I sold that first book, I have done very little. I want to do more, and plan to with each book, but then there is another deadline staring me in the face. I always set my personal deadline at least a month ahead of what my editor sets for me, so I always feel that pressure to get it done – get it done – get it done! I am doing some radio interviews for The Widows’ Club series and love that. I really plan to do more of those because I don’t have to leave home to do them! VBG!

Do you have any parting words of advice?

Being a published author is great. Where else can you work at home in your jammies at your own schedule, doing something you love, and get paid for it? However, it is hard work. Unless you can discipline yourself to sit down in that chair and write, when you’d rather be doing something else, you’d do well to look elsewhere for a profession.

We work alone – doing what only we can do – with no, or very little, help from others. I could live on what I make now, but I’d hate to have to do it. As an author, we never know when our work may no longer be sought, or an editor change brings havoc into your life, publishers are bought out by someone else who doesn’t like your work, etc. No job is secure, but like I said, I’d hate to depend on it. Don’t quit your day job until you have money in the bank to fall back on!

See
www.joycelivingston.com for more information.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the fun interview, Joyce. Your wonderful humor shines in here as it does in your books!

    Novel Reviews has the review of The Widow's Club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, Joyce and Ane. Thanks. Congrats, Joyce, on all you've achieved.

    You made the comment that you didn't do much promotion, but I saw promotion in several places through the interview, and that's a great thing. Publishers love someone who can promote. For one biggie, you've entered contests--AND WON! And then you mention those contest wins in interviews.

    G-R-E-A-T!

    One thing I feel I learned from RWA is "shameless self-promotion." I'm a shy sort and didn't like the idea of promoting my own work. But after reading lots of articles and going to workshops, I realized that if I love my books and am enthusiastic about them, others will be too.

    You do a good job of both writing and promoting.

    Thanks again, Joyce, for "your story." God bless--

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, Joyce and Ane. Thanks. Congrats, Joyce, on all you've achieved.

    You made the comment that you didn't do much promotion, but I saw promotion in several places through the interview, and that's a great thing. Publishers love someone who can promote. For one biggie, you've entered contests--AND WON! And then you mention those contest wins in interviews.

    G-R-E-A-T!

    One thing I feel I learned from RWA is "shameless self-promotion." I'm a shy sort and didn't like the idea of promoting my own work. But after reading lots of articles and going to workshops, I realized that if I love my books and am enthusiastic about them, others will be too.

    You do a good job of both writing and promoting.

    Thanks again, Joyce, for "your story." God bless--

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce my name is Carolyn Strain from Boise,Idaho and I would like for you to be on my FB friends list if you don't mind since I'm interested in writing.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.