Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Publicity 101—For the Fiction Writer

Say the word publicity and what image pops into mind? Or if I ask you to picture a publicist at work what is it you envision? If the image is hazy, you're not alone. The number one question people ask me upon learning I'm a publicist is: Soooo, what is it exactly that you do?

It's a good question. In fact if you're a writer, it's an essential question. Let's face it, being a writer means being a small business owner. You've spent the time learning the craft. You've invested hours (if not months and years) of your life into your novel. You've worked on proposals, short synopses, long synopses, query letters. You've joined blogs, loops, attended conferences, written reviews, and scoured Writers Market Books. You've endured rejection letters, manuscript requests, and the suspense of waiting for the pub board's decision. You've rewritten, edited, and have finally gone to print. Now, like all new small business owners, you need a Strategic Business Plan.

Cringe, I can hear those tire screeches and that horrible sound of metal crumpling. This wasn't what you expected! You've done the work, by golly. You've spent hours hunched over your keyboard, giving your novel your lifeblood, sweated and shed tears as you polished prose. You've done your part . It's the publisher's job now.

Well, maybe. If we're talking the 1920's or you're already a best seller. But what if it's 2006 and this is your first novel, or if you're a mid-list author who's holding what could be your breakout novel? For those of you who are bestsellers, how can you best work with your publicist to maximize both of your time and efforts to reach the largest possible audience? Even if you're on the bottom of the totem pole, your publishing company most likely has an in-house publicist or works with a PR firm. What's the best way to approach them? How should you not approach them? And just what is it that they're doing for you? Perhaps you're even asking why in the world you would choose to invest in or even try publicity. After all, there's marketing and distribution.

Well, let's open the door and start the discussion. In addition to being an aspiring novelist, I've been privileged to work with Glass Road Public Relations and am thrilled at the opportunity to empower others with knowledge.

Gina has graciously offered me the Friday blogspot on Novel Journey to teach publicity. I've been lining up media professionals, book reviewers, contest judges, etc., to share their insight and give us a behind the scenes peek. I'd love to hear from you, learn what questions you have. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can e-mail your questions to embellished (at) bellsouth.net, or post them anonymously in the comment section.

Next post: Why Publicity?


(www.freefoto.com)

22 comments:

  1. Could you make the font a little bit bigger...LOL...it's really hard to read! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. I look forward to the discussion. This year, I've had the privilege of working with two different publishing firms (one for nonfiction, one with Glass Road PR for my fiction releases). It's been a hoot!

    I did receive some good feedback from my other publicist. He told me that I had been a good client. I asked him what that meant since I had never done this publicity thing before. He said: because you return emails, because when we ask for a spinoff article, you write it that day, because you were willing to do any interview...

    A good relationship with a publicist, then, is a two-way street. A publicist can only do his/her job to the degree that you cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, this is great! I can't wait for the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica,
    Good to "see" you. I'm so glad you'll be doing this. Though I'm a way off from the "needing a publisist" point of my carreer (still sweating and crying on my keyboard right now), it'll be a wonderful education for me to read your posts. Thanks for doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica, I am in need of a complete makeover. Apart from a new wardrobe, a brighter smile, fresher breath, more energy, less fear and a hot manuscript, I've got everything it takes to succeed. Really though, looking forward to your words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 50 points, Mike. :)

    Thanks so much for being willing to share your expertise with us, Jessica. Even if we don't want to jump into the deep end of marketing, we have to. You can help us learn how to swim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to learning from your experience, Jessica! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And so shines a bright beacon into the foggy (to me anyway) world of marketing!
    At least on Fridays. :-)

    Thanks Jessica for taking the time to share your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good article, Jessica. Glad you can share your expertise wiht us. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Jessica. I will be here each Friday for sure now. 'Course I stop in most other days, too. Such a great blog, and still getting even better. Very cool.

    My question: Why "Glass Road"? Interesting imagery there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So far so good, Jessica.

    Can we nominate people along the lines of what not to wear - like what not to do? Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Jessica, for these insights. Looking forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This topic sounds awesome! I've been collecting marketing ideas and am learning some but to get it from a pro's ear? How cool.

    Here's a question, though. Is there a difference between publicity and marketing?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Jessica.

    You've just turned Friday into my favorite day of the week.

    Here's a question (one Mary could relate too, I'm sure): If an international writer is accepted by a CBA publisher, what unique marketing tips would you provide?

    Looking forward to next week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've got a question. When are you going to critique my chapter? It's not like you have to do anything except say, "Excellent job, Gina." What's the hold up?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement! To answer the questions:

    The name Glass Road comes from the street where Rebeca Seitz lived as a child. It was there that she first fell in love with fiction. When she established the firm, she drew the name from her roots—where it all began.

    Not being in the States is more challenging, but not impossible. Creativity plays a big role here. I'll be walking us through a full year publicity plan. As we go along, pick out the steps that will be difficult from afar and start looking for different avenues now. As you'll see, there's still plenty you can do.

    Next post, I'll definitely be covering the difference between marketing and publicity and why this difference matters to you as the author. When I learned this part, it was an eye opening moment.

    Looking forward to then!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha about the critique, Gina! But thanks so much for the opportunity to share publicity. I greatly appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here I've been pondering the significance of "Glass Road" all day, and it turns out to be the name of a real street. I was thinking of a transparent journey, or a path that began as gravel (sand) and has been scorched and formed into a straight, smooth plane...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jessica, are we still using the one "ha" to mean I'll get right to it?

    Randy, wow, those actually made sense.

    How come no one ever asks me what Novel Journey means? LOL. Sorry, I'm over tired.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gina, I have asked before but haven't found out: Who is the eyeless blonde in the white coat and scarf and/or what does she represent? Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Randy. No idea who the model is but she represents the type of fiction I write. Edgy young soldier of light set against the darkness in this world. Thanks for asking! (I didn't mean to blow you off when you asked before. Just must've missed it.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am SO excited about your Friday posts! What a great idea! This is totally awesome. I can't wait for this Friday.

    Camy

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.