Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Author Interview~Cyndy Salzmann

Cyndy Salzmann is a wife, mother, popular national speaker and the author of several Christian books including her latest – Dying to Decorate – book one in her Friday Afternoon Club Mystery series.











What new book or project would you like to tell us about?

I just completed edits on Book Two of my Friday Afternoon Club (FAC) mystery series – which is part of Howard Books’ Motherhood Club line. The first book in the series, Dying to Decorate, has already been released. It’s a lighthearted mystery with a mom lit feel – and since I’m also a cookbook author – I included 45 of my favorite recipes that go along with the story. A reader wrote me recently that her husband said my Melt-in-Your-Mouth Pot Roast was the best thing she had cooked in 20 years of marriage. The series is based on my own group of friends (also named FAC) that have gotten together on Friday afternoon for the last 15 years. No agenda. No crafts. No schedule. Just a time to relax and recharge with women who get me – and don’t care if I’ve shave my legs. : )

Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I began writing books as an excuse to avoid laundry. Frankly, I wish I had a loftier reason for kick-starting a writing career. But I don’t. The simple truth is at the bottom of the laundry pile – probably under a pair of smelly socks.

I despise laundry. I’m not sure why. I just do. My husband claims that at any given moment, I can come up with a list of ten reasons why we have no clean towels. He’s probably right - but for the last seven or so years, hunching over my laptop, pleading looming deadlines and artistic angst, has proven to be a handy excuse to stay out of the laundry room.

Do you still have self-doubts about your writing?


Yes! Yes! When I heard NovelReview was reviewing my book, I felt the familiar pang of self-doubt. “I hope whoever reads it, likes it!” In fact, I can’t even read my own work without wanting to take out the editing pen. I try to remember some advice from Cecil Murphy who has written more than 100 books. “This is the best I can do at this stage in my development.” Then I keep working to do better on the next project.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

I think about this at least once a week. The work is HARD, promotion grueling and I am always behind on laundry. I think – “WHY am I doing this? I could have a drawer full of clean underwear!” Then God softly whispers – once again – in my ear, “You know why…” Then He reminds me of the same words of encouragement David gave to his son Solomon when he passed the baton, “Be strong and courageous – and do the work.” (I Chron, 28:20) So I pull on a pair of my dh’s underwear (since I don’t have any clean ones) and fire up my laptop. : )

What mistakes did you make while seeking an editor or agent?

This is sooo embarrassing. I attended my first writer’s conference after I had three nonfiction books on the shelves. Although I hadn’t written a word of fiction since high school, I pitched an idea for a mystery series to an editor. I described it as similar to the books of a famous author – but “much better written.” He said, “You do know that most of her books debut on the NYT bestseller list?” My response was something like, “Of course, that’s why I’m confident my books will do so well.” Can you believe my nerve?? I just CRINGE thinking about that conversation and every time I see this editor at a conference, I duck into the nearest restroom.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

It comes from Stephen King… “To write is human. To edit is divine.” Listen to your editor. : )

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?

“You must have a synopsis that ‘sings’ to get an editor to look at your work.” Phooey – in my opinion. Most editors I’ve talked to say they turn first to the writing – and if this catches their attention – turn to the synopsis. Personally, I’ve NEVER read a synopsis that I didn’t have to force myself to finish. In my opinion, if a story can be told well in a few pages, it should be a short story. A caveat… I might be so passionate about this because I really stink at writing a synopsis. In fact, now that I think of it… this COULD be the worst piece of writing advice you’ve ever received.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

Although I can understand their rationale, it really bugs me when “gatekeepers” in the CBA (editors, publishers and agents) discount the “call” to write when addressing new authors. The first thing one learns in “Pitching Your Project 101” is to never say “God told me to write this book.” My response to this is, “Then why in the world would I bother writing it? I could be traveling, gardening, cooking – or even be caught up on laundry if I didn’t feel that God wanted me to write Christian books.” Now I would never utter these words to a gatekeeper… but it’s nice to dream.

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

Writer’s conferences are more about connecting with other writers and learning your craft than pitching your project. Sure… pitch your project. But relax. Meet new friends. Have fun. Then go home and do the work (I Chron. 28:20).

Was there ever a difficult set back that you went through in your writing career?

When my medium-sized publisher was sold to BIG publishing company, I panicked. What if the BIG company looks at my writing (or sales numbers) and says, “Why in the world does she have a three book deal? We need to get out of this ASAP!” Of course, nothing like this has happened since the sale… I just wasted a few weeks and a fantastic manicure worrying in case it did.

What are a few of your favorite books?

I have lots of favorites but I am currently really impressed by the work of several new writers. Susan Meissner (Remedy for Regret and others) strings words together soooo beautifully. Mary DeMuth (Watching the Tree Limbs) tackles difficult subjects and incorporates great emotion in her writing. And I felt like I’d been on vacation in France after reading Siri Mitchell’s Chateau of Echoes. I also think Sharon Hinck (The Secret Life of Becky Miller) is a stitch.

What work have you done that you’re especially proud of and why?

Much of my new book (the second installment of the Friday Afternoon Club Mystery series, Crime & Clutter, Spring, 2007) is based on personal experience regarding the abandonment by my father in the turbulent 60’s. It was very difficult for me to write but ended up being very healing. I’m hoping it will do the same for other women facing the same issue.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has spoken to you lately in regards to your writing?

Ephesians 6:4 “Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.”

I need to always seek wisdom and balance my life so my work does not adversely impact my family. Easier said than done when I’ve procrastinated and end up under a killer deadline of my own making. Or taken on more work than I can comfortably handle.

Can you give us a look into a typical day for you?

Roll out of bed – sometimes early/sometimes later. Make coffee. Drink a glass of OJ with a little umbrella in it while I check email. Grab cup of coffee and read my email devotion that comes from Reflections Ministries:
dailygrowth-subscribe@reflectionsministries.org. Write in my prayer journal.

Then... if I don’t have a speaking engagement or other pressing obligation, I head to a nearby coffee shop and write or edit for as long as I can – usually 2-3 hours. I also try to do a little marketing while I’m there – at least an hour. For example, today I discovered a great new cooking show and emailed the host to tell her that my mystery series has recipes that go along with the story. She was excited, emailed me right back for a review copy and is going to schedule me on her show. My publisher was thrilled.

The rest of the day is spent on home stuff – housework, kids, etc. I try to keep evenings free for family time. : )

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

Not unless I am in a deadline crunch. It works better for me to have a “time” goal rather than word count. When I think I MUST write 1500 words – or whatever – I check the word count every 10 minutes and get nothing done. But when I am behind with a deadline looming, I divide up how much I need to get done each day and stay glued to the chair until I reach it.

Are you a SOTP (seat of the pants) writer or a plotter?

Pretty much SOTP – although I have a general idea where I’m going. I do a lot of research before I start writing so ideas are mulling through my mind. Also, if an idea occurs to me, I’ll write a rough scene and put it in my file.

What author do you especially admire and why?

Cecil Murphy. As I said earlier, Cec has written more than 100 books and is deeply committed to his calling as a writer. Many are familiar with the bestselling 90 Minutes in Heaven that he wrote with Don Piper. Cec isn’t just talented. Anybody can have talent. He is disciplined, hard-working and committed to developing his craft – even after all those books. He also gives back tremendously to other writers through his mentoring clinics, by teaching at writer’s conferences and as a panelist on The Writer’s View. All this and he is the most humble man I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet. By watching him from “afar,” I have learned much about doing my best -- for God’s glory.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

The work. I love research and writing when it’s really clicking. When it’s not or I’m behind schedule, it stinks.

How much marketing do you do? What's your favorite part of marketing?

I founded a nonprofit promotional co-op of Christian authors last year – aptly called the Christian Authors Network (CAN) as a way to divide up the marketing monster so writers could still have time to write. In about a week, we had 40 authors signed up – and decided to close membership until we could get rolling. In just a year, we’ve held more than 40 retailer events, set up an email Christian book club (You’ve Got Books), developed monthly ezines for readers of both fiction and nonfiction as well as retailers, started a blog and are refining our website to make it a resource for readers, retailers, media, event planners and writers. We’ve recently decided to begin accepting applications for membership again.

My favorite part of marketing is connecting with readers either by email, store events or speaking. It keeps me motivated to know that God is working in reader’s lives.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

It’s not about the ending… it’s about the journey. Stay close to God and enjoy the ride. : )

10 comments:

  1. Thank you Cyndy. What a great interview (Amen on the laundry.) I was comforted by your words on writer's conferences. I'm just registered for my first one and was feeling guilty for not taking advantage of the editor/agent appointments. I just don't feel ready for that and wanted to concentrate on learning and growing as a writer and meeting people. After reading what you said, I feel better!And I always appreciate being encouraged to focus on God and being reminded of the importantance of His role in all this writing stuff.
    Your new book sounds fun! Love the recipe thing. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Cyndy. How can we get more information on the Christian Authors Network? I mean besides the Web site. Where can we find out how much membership is and what the benefits are?

    Also, thanks for being honest about your blunder at the conference. We've all made mistakes.

    Best wishes on your series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Cyndy. I appreciate your humor and your honesty. I hate housework. Anything is a good excuse not to do it! LOL I told my husband the first thing I would do when I get a contract is hire someone to clean my house! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Cyndy.

    I actually don't mind laundry and dishes but pretty much hate everything else that falls under the heading of housework.

    I appreciate your willingness to share your conversation with the editor at the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your parting words, Cyndy: Stay close to God and enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun interview, Cyndy. Your sense of humor comes through in your writing as well. I love the Occassional Cook and I've recommended it to several friends. One of which bought me Dying to Decorate as a thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement regarding my writing. : ) Please grab me if you see me at a conference. One of my favorite parts of writing is getting to know other writers.

    If you'd like more info about CAN, feel free to email me through my website and I'll put you on the list to receive info when it's ready.

    Back to laundry...

    ReplyDelete
  8. An umbrella in your orange juice? Is that your secret formula for writing tons of words and for laundry that does itself? I got a kick out of that. Now, if only I could find little umbrellas in France!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How I wish the umbrella would motivate me to do the laundry! But it does put me in a good mood and remind me to have fun and enjoy writing. I'll bring a box of umbrellas to Dallas for you. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Cyndy and Gina! What a fun interview. Cecil Murphey is an inspiration to me as well. I can't wait to meet the Friday Afternoon Club in your book!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.