Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Author Interview - Linda Evans Shepherd

Linda Evans Shepherd is a nationally and internationally recognized speaker, the radio host of the nationally syndicated radio feature, Right to the Heart, a TV host and an award-winning, prolific author. She speaks to those who want to laugh and draw closer to God and each other.












What new book or project coming out would you like to tell us about?



The Potluck Club Trouble’s Brewing –
Linda Evans Shepherd & Eva Marie Everson
Baker Revell

The Potluck Club ladies are at it again, and ace reporter Clay Whitefield is still trying to uncover all their secrets. But is he keeping a secret of his own? Hiding behind a tough façade, Deputy Donna is haunted by a failed rescue, but there's more to it than meets the eye. Evie has finally caught the man of her dreams, but the road to romance is unpaved and rocky. Vonnie's birth son has decided to come to Summit View, but his arrival may destroy her marriage. Lisa Leann is opening a Bridal Shop with a dating service. A self-appointed match maker and devoted gossip, she's wreaking havoc among the Club members. Lizzy's son, Tim, is having marriage problems of his own and wants to move back in with mom and dad. Goldie's estranged husband and her daughter are conspiring to get Goldie to take him back, but years of her husband's philandering have her wary. When she meets a man in her new job, will she find her heart to be trustworthy?


Tell us about your publishing journey. How long had you been writing before you got a contract? How did you find out and what went through your mind?

I was a technical writer in the high tech world of Boulder, Colorado. (See my Boulder murder mystery at
www.TangledHeart.com) and I left my job to stay home when my daughter Laura was born.

How glad I am I have so many precious memories of her before the devastating car accident that left her in a year long coma. In fact, it was the excitement surrounding the birth of her little brother, Jimmy, a year after the accident that woke her up. (see
www.LindaAndLaura.com)

In those days, I couldn’t even go to the grocery store without a team of helpers. I felt a lot like the apostle Paul when he was under house arrest. I had always been ministry minded, but at that point, I did the only thing I could do – write.

I also became involved with the Colorado Writers Conference ( See
www.WriteHisAnswer.com) and learned the art, craft and business of writing for the Christian market.

My first book was a devotional novel for teens called Ryan’s Trials (long out of print.) God woke me up in the middle of the night with the idea, and the first editor I shared it with, bought it. I thought at that time, “Hey, this is easy!”

Ha Ha Ha. NOT!

I’m lucky I had such a positive first experience because little did I know the difficulties of finding homes for your work.

Though I’ve published over 20 books, it’s been a process. All I can say is that even Jesus was rejected by men, and so what if I’ve been rejected by a few publishers?

The sad truth is one must face rejections if one is to be published. Often it’s the most rejected authors who are the most widely published.

When I got the idea for The Potluck Club, I called Eva immediately. A couple of months later, we presented a proposal to a dear editor friend over breakfast at the Christian book tradeshow in 2001. She held onto the idea for a whole year, waiting for the right time to show the project to committee. When she was finally able to show it, Eva and I got a contract. But it still took another 2 years for the first Potluck Club Book to come out in print. It was worth the wait.

I've heard about your retreats and how you plot and write like crazy for a few days. I can imagine how much fun that might be with Eva Marie Everson. Tell us what it was like.

Eva is a wonderful writing partner as well as a friend. As we cocoon in a tiny house in the middle of the Colorado Rockies (see
www.PotluckClub.com for photos,) we work so intently on our characters and plots that it feels as if the characters we’ve created are with us. We venture out daily into the quaint little town of Frisco, for coffee and shopping. It’s a hoot.

Do you still have self-doubts about your writing?

Not really. I feel that my writing is a calling. I’m not competing to be the best writer in the world, I’m only trying to be the best writer I can be. Plus, I write out of obedience to my calling to write.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

Yes. In the difficult years, it was hard to stay true to my calling. However, at the beginning of every year, I would seek God to see if I was where he wanted me. He would confirm my calling without fail. That’s how I was able to endure the difficulties. I knew I was where God wanted me to be.

What mistakes did you make while seeking an editor or agent?

The business of writing is very tough. You need to bathe each of your key relationships with prayer. I’ve learned that my agent and my editors can be my best friend. The difficulty comes when your ‘best-friend’ editor is called to another publishing house, leaving you behind. When that happens, you lose your advocate at that house. I always check to see if my editor has long terms plans to stay with the publishing company before I sign a contract. But even that doesn’t offer much protection. I’ve lost two of my editors in the past six months, because they’ve moved to other houses. Happily, I have wonderful friends still at my publishing houses, so this won’t hurt me as it has in years past. If you are in publishing, widen your circle of publishing friends. This will help you in the difficult times.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve heard?

Don’t just talk about it – write. Don’t worry if it’s not perfect -- write. You can edit later.

What’s the worst piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?

Write it perfectly the first time, to save time. YIKES. For me, at least, the writing process includes the hard process of editing and editing.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

Fruit Basket Editor Turnover

What do you wish you’d known early in your career that might have saved you some time and/or frustration in writing? In publishing?

I wish I had known that publishing companies have their ups and downs and sometimes they even go out of business. I’ve launched seven different books, just as different publishing houses were sold or was disbanded. I learned though, that this is not the end of the world. The silver lining is that you can buy your discontinued books at bargain prices for resell at your speaker’s table. The profits I’ve made from selling these discontinued books helped me launch my ministry,
www.RightToTheHeart.com.

Was there ever a difficult set back that you went through in your writing career?

As I said earlier, my career has had its share of rejections. I’ll never forget the editor who pulled me aside as the Christian book tradeshow and asked me, “What are you doing here?” He was referring to some very difficult rejections and disappointments I’d experienced and couldn’t believe that I hadn’t given up. I told him, “This is where God has called me so where else do I go?” It’s been a privilege to see God honor my obedience. But even if he hadn’t, I would still be here, doing the work he has called me to do.

What are a few of your favorite books?

I love the classics. To Kill a Mockingbird is my all time favorite. And I love all books by John Gresham. His books are definitely Christian, yet, he’s able to create nitty-gritty characters that secular audiences can relate to. I fly a lot and see many non-believers reading his work. What a ministry Gresham has! I’m also a big Sue Grafton fan, though her plots and characters aren’t always very edifying. She, however, is a fabulous writer.
My favorite Christian fiction writer is Gail Roper. She’s the best.

What work have you done that you’re especially proud of and why?

I love, love, love all things Potluck Club. The characters are real and endearing. But I’m also proud of my new devotional murder mystery for women, called Tangled Heart. (see
www.TangledHeart.com) I wrote that book 14 years ago after receive a strong calling from God to do so. However, it seemed that He didn’t call anyone to publish it. After much prayer, I’ve finally brought it out myself through my own house, Jubilant Press (see www.JubilantPress.com). Tangled Heart is a work of sheer obedience and it’s getting fabulous reviews. But more importantly than that, it’s changing lives and helping readers to break free of their pasts.

I’m also excited about my upcoming nonfiction book from Cook Communications called Right to the Heart of Prayer which will be out in 07. I love this book because I wrote about prayer out of my own pain and difficulties. Plus, I wrote the book out of my experiences with dealing with suicidal people online. I have ministered in the world-wide sea of depression at
www.GodTest.com and have discovered there’s a lot of people angry at God – they’re angry because they feel He has not answered their prayers the way they’ve specified. I’m privileged to come along beside people to show them how to pray, not only out of faith, but out of trusting Him. I help them change their perspective about, God, prayer and life.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has spoken to you lately in regards to your writing?

Here’s a little something Paul says, that certainly applies to us writers, “However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.” Acts 20:23-24 (NIV)

Can you give us a look into a typical day for you?

I run around my house hugging teenagers and my hubby, talking on the phone to my ministry partners, and answering tons of emails. At night, I cuddle up with my dog, my laptop and my husband, (not necessarily in that order) in front of the TV and as the American Idols sing, I keep answering emails and working on projects.

Do you have a word or page goal you set for each day?

Because I’m an in-demand speaker (see
www.Sheppro.com) as well as the president of a hopping ministry, Right to the Heart, I don’t write every day. However, I plan writing adventures and you will often find me pecking away on my laptop on airplanes and in terminals. Writing while traveling is a great way to get away from my phone and email, and that works for me. I organize my nonfiction books to the point that they are extensively outlined before I start to write them. I find working from an outline makes the process fast and keeps me from chasing rabbits.

Are you an SOTP writer or a plotter?

Both. There’s a time to plot and a time to be surprised.

What author do you especially admire and why?

I admire all the authors who are answering their calling, knowing that it’s not for fame or ambition or money, but for their Lord. Even if they are only faithfully writing their church newsletters, I applaud them. It’s about partnership with God and when you get that right, the rest doesn’t matter.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

My favorite thing about being a writer is knowing my obedience and words have made a difference in many lives. My least favorite thing is all the time-consuming tasks in the business of writing that keeps you from writing.

How much marketing do you do? What's your favorite part of marketing?

I do a lot of interviewing and I love to talk on TV or on the radio. I’m a part-time guest host for Denver Celebration (TV) and I love it. I see this aspect of working with the media as simply another way to spread the good news and the messages God has given me to share. It widens my audience, whether they buy my books or not.

Do you have any parting words of advice?

If God calls you to write, write. If your call is based on vanity, run away. Vanity writing is not worth the cost. However, your job is to seek God until you know the answer for you. Don’t run away from writing simply because it’s a difficult and long process. Don’t run away just because your words need work. If God is calling you to write, work these things out in obedience. Ask Him for his help and guidance. And don’t worry if you’re not on the bestselling charts. Worry instead that you are faithfully fulfilling your calling with diligence and obedience. Give the other worries that come with this job to God and ask him to worry about them for you. You just keep doing the next thing and keep taking the next step.

Also, read good books about writing, like those found out:
www.PublishCoach.com
www.Be-An-Author.com
www.AgentHelps.com

Also attend writer’s conferences and workshops. See
www.WriteHisAnswer.com and www.WriteAwayWeekend.com .

Click here to visit Linda's web-site.






4 comments:

  1. Linda, thanks so much for the great interview. I loved what you said about "a time to plot and a time to be surprised."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "All I can say is that even Jesus was rejected by men, and so what if I’ve been rejected by a few publishers?"

    Perfect. Well said.


    Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, Linda and Ane. I like the scripture you picked. A huge amen to that. All other ground is sinking sand.

    I appreciate you sharing the links and all the rest! Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda,
    What a nice peak into your writing/speaking life. Thank you for sharing it!
    Blessings,
    Vonda

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.