Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Author Interview~ Yvonne Lehman

Yvonne Lehman lives in the heart of theBlue Ridge Mountains in western North Carolina where she and her husband raised four children, now grown.
She is an award-winning, best-selling author of 40 novels and director of the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference. In each of her novels, Yvonne tries to present one significant ingredient--hope.She has a southern upbringing and many of her novel settings are in the mountains where she's lived for the past 25 years.








What book or project is coming out or has come out that you'd like to tell us about?

I'm contracted for a cozy mystery, GRAVE CONCLUSIONS, to be released around the end of 2006. I've written in various genres, mainly romance, a few with some mystery in them, but this is my first attempt at a cozy mystery.

I'm hoping this might turn out to be the first in a series of my Scarlet and Joe Angel mysteries, featuring a spunky red-haired romance writer and her detective/son. In this one, Scarlet teaches a class in mystery writing so she can learn how and help aspiring writers at the same time. As a lesson guide, she uses a local unsolved murder. She discovers her class attendees aren't wanting to learn about writing, but have some connection with the murdered man.

They either want to solve the murder-or keep it from being solved.

Tell us about your journey to publication. How long had you been writing before you got the call you had a contract, how you heard and what went through your head.

In the 1980's I was teaching a class of young girls, ages 17-married. Dissatisfied with teaching brotherly love to an all-white group, I suggested we invite black girls to come and worship with us. A deacon's meeting was called. One deacon approved. The pastor and other deacons were against it. I was crushed. For six months considered leaving the church.

Then it dawned upon me that I wasn't limited by a church. God and I were a majority. I rededicated my life. Soon afterwards, I saw the ad in Decision magazine about the School of Christian Writing. I realized I'd been writing about things that interested me for years and throwing them in a box in a closet. I did not know someone like me, quite ordinary, could be a writer. However, I applied to the school and was accepted.

I had 3 children and no money, but we scraped together enough for me to take a train to the school. The person who won the Award of Excellence from the previous year's students said she got the call June 12 at 3:00 p.m. I wanted to win that prize the following year so badly that I wrote & wrote, prayed & prayed, and trying to show I had faith I went to the phone one June 12 at 3:00 p.m and put my hand on it.

The call didn't come.

It came on June 17. The school paid my way that year since I won the award. On the way home on the plane Bob DeVries, editor with Moody sat between me and another student. We talked his ears off until he finally told us both to send our mss and he promised to read them both. (You think this is long-I've really condensed it!) Anyway, he left Moody but I tracked him down (didn't know you weren't supposed to chase an editor).

He was getting his doctorate but promised to read it after he finished his studies & thesis. I waited.

Other things happened during that time.but, eventually he went to Zondervan and ended up publishing my first book, RED LIKE MINE, about race relations. I had only a high school education at the time, but began taking one course at a time, learning all I could about writing and literature.

You asked how long before a contract. Not sure, but I was pregnant with my fourth child when I received the Award of Excellence. When my first book was published, she was about 4 years old. When my books arrived, she was the only one at home. I gathered her close and showed her my picture on the back of the book.`"Do you know who that is?" I asked.She nodded. "You."
"Do you know who wrote this book?" I asked, so excited.She looked bored and shook her head.

I said, "Mommy did. I wrote this book."
She stared at me.I said, "Isn't that wonderful?"
She shook her head.
I said, "Why not?"
She said, "I can't read."
She walked away.

That was the first time my balloon was burst.but not the last.

Do you still experience self-doubts regarding your work?

ALWAYS. I love my ideas. I have so many I can't write them all. And writing a proposal isn't too bad. Then when I get a contract and know I'm committed to writing that book within a certain period of time, I sort of panic.

I begin and so much of it seems like nonsense. But I keep on, and the time comes when the characters begin to come to life, the story takes shape and form and I'm able to work with it. That is so wonderful. I know the process, so during that beginning panic time, I just keep on. I often think, will I ever have a decent sentence in this book, or will a character seem real?

What's the worst mistake you've made while seeking publication?

Not knowing or studying the market. Just thinking because I had a good idea, and thought I wrote it well, the magazine would want it. That's not the way it works.

They have a particular audience and if your work doesn't fit, they won't take it.

What's the best advice you've heard on writing/publication?

It came from an editor who looked at a proposal. She sent it back with a note that said, "Your writing is not good enough."

Words like that sometimes cause would-be writers to quit. But I was determined to make my writing good enough. My writing had been good enough for some editors. But I realized that I can never know enough, or be good enough. There's always room for improvement.

What's the worst piece of writing advice you've heard?

I don't know that I've had any really bad advice. I've heard, "Write what you know." That depends upon how you take it. If I wrote only what I knew when I started, I'd have had only one book, or not even one.

For example, in researching a mystery, I went to the library and engaged the librarian to help me find out about a poison I needed for my murder. She became frustrated because she couldn't find what I needed. Finally, she said, "Why don't you write what you know?"

I retorted, "I will, after I find the information I need."

And that's my philosophy. Find out what you don't know, then write it.

What's something you wish you'd known earlier that might have saved you some time/frustration in the publishing business?

Be independently wealthy or marry a publisher.However, perseverance in the midst of frustration makes us stronger persons and better writers. If it were easy, everyone would be a writer. If it were easy, we couldn't be proud of our accomplishments.

Do you have a scripture or quote that has been speaking to you lately?

About 25 years ago I read the Bible through just to say I'd done it. Since then, my readings have been various scriptures that I used in teaching Sunday School, Bible studies, and studying with commentaries.

Recently I, along with a writers group, was challenged to read the Bible through using Zondervan's "The Bible in 90 days" in which we read 12 pages a day. I started Jan. 1 and feared I wouldn't keep up. But this has been a wonderful experience. I don't stop to study it-just experience God and his ways, his jealousy & wrath and his love. I'm loving it.

The most recent verse I underlined is "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

Is there a particularly difficult set back that you've gone through in your writing career you are willing to share?

There are many so-called "setbacks" that turn out to be blessings. There were times in rearing children and having to work that left little time for writing, but I understood that-family must come first.

A difficult time was after I'd been quite successful publishing romances for Zondervan and Thomas Nelson at the same time. I had quit my job to write. Then both companies stopped publishing them. I needed money and couldn't sell anything. I even tried the secular market but that didn't work.

Finally I had to get a job (embarrassing for a famous author-ahem.).

I got a job as a desk clerk at a conference center making minimum wage. Sound bad? Well, after I checked in conferees, the rest of the time was my own as long as I was there to answer the phone and see that the needs of conferees were taken care of. During those years, I was still taking a course at a time and earned my Master's Degree by studying in my free hours while at that desk. I was able to write while there.

That turned out to be a wonderful blessing. Later, because I earned that Master's Degree, I taught a course for the area college making $40 per hour.

What are a few of your favorite books? (Not written by you.)

I don't like to name favorites. There are some authors whose work I read because they're friends or close acquaintances and I love their work. I can sometimes tell if a writer is professional or just a beginner but I can still enjoy the work of a beginner. If I like the story, that is my favorite while I'm reading it. I try to learn from each one, or just enjoy the story. I love the classics and enjoyed those while studying literature.

In my spare time during my studies, to relax my mind, I read Barbara Cartland's romances. That's how I learned to write romances and was ready when the market opened up for them.

What piece of writing have you done that you're particularly proud of and why?

My biblical novel, IN SHADY GROVES (published by Chosen books in hardcover and reprinted in paper back) and reprinted as GOMER (hardcover in Guideposts "Women of the Bible series). I'd wondered why God would order his prophet to marry a prostitute and the Bible didn't tell us a lot of the details, so I studied everything I could find about Hosea and Gomer and filled in the blanks.

The book has been used as Bible studies, so I'm quite proud of that.

Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?

Not really. I believe the Christian publishing companies have the same goals that Christian writers have - reach the world with good clean literature and make a difference in readers' lives.

My pet peeves lie mainly with me-for procrastinating too much, learning too little, applying my best efforts too seldom.

Can you give us a view into a typical day of your writing life?

6:30 - wake up - read the Bible
7:00 - make-up, dress, check email, practice violin
8:00 - leave for the health club for exercise
9:30 - return home, fix & eat breakfast, work the crossword puzzle
10:30 - check email
11:00 - write

Now, the rest of the day depends-I'm very flexible. I do not stick to a schedule. I write as much or as little as I want or need to. With a deadline, I will write for hours, taking breaks of course. But if I want to watch TV or see a movie or go out, I do. A lot depends on how the book is going.

Once everything seems to be happening with my story, I don't want to leave it. When I first begin, it seems I need to take it slow while everything is trying to come together in my mind. Other times, I have to just write until something begins to make sense.Sometimes I awaken in the middle of the night with an idea, so I snap on the light and write it down. I've learned I can't force it, but I also can't wait for inspiration.

10:00 p.m. - read the Bible
10:30 or 11:00 p.m. - go to sleep


If you could choose to have one strength of another writer, what would it be and from whom?

There are many I admire for their strengths, their witness, their commitment & dedication to the Lord. But I don't wish for theirs. I wish I would use to the fullest what God has given me. That is a lifetime's work and I'm still struggling with it.

Do you have a dream for the future of your writing, something you would love to accomplish?

Well, there's the standard answer that we Christians have and that's "to make a difference in the life of even one person." That's very real and I do want that. However, there's the more human side of me too, not just the spiritual, and I would love to be known as an important writer. I would like to win the Christy Award. I would like my work to be recognized by "whomever" makes those decisions, to be worthwhile.

As I write this, however, I know what counts in the long run is that my work is recognized by the Lord as worthy.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

Oh, there have been those momentary bursts of desperation/ disappointment/ frustration where I might vow to never write again or quit trying. But seriously, NEVER..

There were times when it seemed I might never be published again, but it wouldn't be because I quit. I strove, and still strive, to be better. I can't quit because I believe God has given me a talent and I must develop and use it, at least keep trying.

What is your favorite and least favorite part of being a writer?

My least favorite is when I've procrastinated too much and have a deadline and would like to have more time for research and thinking. Another least favorite is that I can't live long enough to write all the books I'd like to write or when it seems the story might never come alive.

My favorite is when the story does take shape and the characters become real and I know there's something good there. I feel so blessed, being able to write, and solve so many problems on paper while sitting in my office in front of the computer.

But, those answers are also the answers to life and difficulties that I face. Having my characters look to the Lord teaches me what to do in my own life. I suppose my writing is therapy for me and probably teaches me more than it ever teaches my readers.

How much marketing do you do? Any advice in this area?

That doesn't appeal to me so I don't do a lot. I do have a newsletter that I send out and having a writers conference gives me an audience. I have some book signings and report new releases in the local newspaper. I have a website. That's about it. I think marketing is important. Having published over 40 books, I do have an audience. If I were just starting out today, I might want to hire a publicist if I could afford it.

Those who are computer literate can do a lot of marketing with websites, blogs, etc.

You are the woman behind the Blue Ridge Mountains Writers Conference. What made you take on such an enormous task?

After attending the Billy Graham School of Christian Writing in Minneapolis, MN that changed my life and set me in a new direction, I wanted to give that same kind of opportunity to other aspiring writing. Then, there were weren't many conferences available and not one in this area. I tried for 2 ½ years but couldn't get anyone to sponsor such a conference.

After 2 ½ years, Ruth McKinney, secretary to Dr. Woody Wirt, editor of Decision Magazine & dean of the school, called and asked how things were going. I told her I had given up. She told me to pray. I told her I'd prayed for 2 ½ years. She said do it again. I did. The following Sunday Ken McAnear, director of Ridgecrest said he would pay for incorporation. YMCA Blue Ridge Assembly said they'd give the conference a try and see if it would be successful. Dr. Wirt agreed to come as Emcee and asked editors & faculty to come.

WHY TAKE ON SUCH AN ENORMOUS TASK? I didn't know any better! When all those students began to come I w ent to my room and hid. Thank the Lord, Dr. Wirt was there to take over. I wouldn't dare try to be the Emcee for many years. God was definitely in this, otherwise it would have been a miserable failure. Many wonderful people helped me.

After 17 years, I stopped having the conference because of family needs. A few years later, Ridgecrest called and asked if I would plan one for them. I was thrilled to be asked.

Tell us about the BRMCWC. What are the benefits and how can our readers find out more or register?

The Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference is held at Ridgecrest, in the gorgeous mountains of Western North Carolina near Ashville (home of the famous Biltmore House and Gardens). We have the finest faculty anywhere. They are the ones in demand at other conferences. We have best-selling authors, editors, agents, mentors and I like to have as a part of the faculty former students who are now publishing.

The benefits are that if one is going to have a successful career, there must be training, perseverance, work. You learn about this at the conference. You're part of a business and realize you're not alone although writing is one-on-one between you and your computer. You're part of a group who understands you because you have similar goals and similar creative kind of mind. In this business, it's almost a given that you now have to meet editors and agent at conferences. We provide that opportunity.
How can you register? Check out our website: www.lifeway.com/christianwriters and click on Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference. If you'd like a brochure, let me know.

How much work is running the BRMCWC each year?

There are things to do all year long in acquiring new faculty, deciding on classes, making plans. I'm in contact with the faculty all during the year. Then there are manuscripts coming in for contests and critiques. That has to be recorded and handled. However, when I sponsored my own I had the total responsibility.

Now, I don't have the burden of all the behind the scenes work.

What have been the personal benefits?

It's not just "work" but my ministry and mission. The benefits are when aspiring writers return and say they are learning, or become published and into their career. It's wonderful working with Ridgecrest, LifeWay, faculty and knowing we all have a part in presenting something that results in lives being changed, touched, inspired, motivated. The greatest benefit is seeing God bless the conference. Without that, I wouldn't want to be in it for a moment.

Parting words?

Never lose sight of your dreams. Always keep a goal ahead of you to strive for. I have a quote over my computer that says, "If you do what you always do, you'll get what you've always gotten." If you want to be better at what you do, then learn more, work a little harder, and always persevere-but don't forget to enjoy life, and laugh.

Thank you, Gina, for giving me this opportunity.God bless and best wishes,Yvonne

4 comments:

  1. Yvonne, excellent interview. You are such a quirky and fun lady and humble as well. No wonder I like you. Attending the BRMWC the past two years has opened doors for me I would never have imagined. I found my mentor, my critique group, one of my writing partners, learned how to pitch, network and write a much better book!

    Thanks for all you do for new writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yvonne, I owe you so much thanks for the encouragement you've given me over the last couple of years.

    Yvonne's BRMCWC is the first conference I ever went to. The second year I entered the ficiton contest and came in second. That helped me really believe in myself. I'd encourage anyone to go to her conference.

    I love your books, and love you! Keep encouraging writers, you're gathering jewels for your crown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Coffee Rings. Great interview. Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your perseverence and attitude are inspiring.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.