Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Friday, September 02, 2005

Preparing for the writer's conference

The ACFW conference is this month. I'm so excited.

I went shopping, bought myself a new outfit, a new bag to carry around my ms, and some very exciting ink for my printer to have fresh copies of my work to flash around.

I'm bringing two copies of each novel proposal.

Lots of business cards.

Thank you cards and treats for my friends.

I'm ready.

Well, almost. I'm still trying to decide which publishers would best suit my stuff. It's not a n0-brainer because books like mine are just being considered for the first time by some publishers and my best bet may be with a publishing house that has never published that type of thing.

Do I try for a house like Westbow who I know likes the type of work I do? But they've already filled their nitch.

Or do I try to convice a publisher that they need to find an author to fill that nitch for their house?

Tricky. I'm not sure. I've received lots of great advice from other authors who write in the same genre and basically have been told to try them all.
Great, but I only get 2 appointments.

So, after careful consideration I've decided to leave it to God. I have in my mind who I think is my best bet, but ultimately, I may not have a whole lot of choices. The editor appointments will fill up quickly. That's fine. God knows better than me.

But, I'm not going to leave everything up to Him. I'm going to be as ready as I can be. I'm memorizing my story pitches so I sound like I know what I'm talking about at the editor appointment.

My last two conferences I froze during the appointments. I hadn't prepared anything and decided to wing it. Bad idea.

When you're sitting down with an editor, its very good to know your story inside and out and be able to convey that knowledge coherently, convincingly and in as few words as possible.

It's also a good idea to be ready for the questions they're likely to ask.
Who's work could you compare this to?
Who do you see this book appealing to?
What else do you have?
How many words?
Is it complete?

Etc. This year my goal is to master the verbal pitch. I can do it. Pretty sure.

4 comments:

  1. What exciting stuff, Gina. Ultimately, I think you're right to roll the care onto God (and still be proactive). He knows exactly who you need to meet, and He'll make sure it happens. I'll pray that you'll be blessed everywhere you go, and that you'll be a blessing to others. That the favor of the Lord would rest on you every step of the way, and that you would have wisdom to know what words to speak, and what words to hold back.

    Have lots of fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks CJ. I appreciate your prayer. I do hope I'll be a blessing to others too. I always try to be when I can. Sometimes though it is easy to get caught up in the excitement. Having fun is always a great goal. I plan to do just that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina,

    I want to know about this "very exciting ink." What does it do exactly? Is it invisible ink that makes misspelled words disappear? Or maybe it's magic ink that fills plot holes with rich, literary earth. Do they sell this ink at office supply stores, or must I venture into a dark alley, utter a secret word to a bouncer and visit a blind, ink-selling seer, who will tell me to "write wisely"? Please, do tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike, thanks for the laugh first thing this morning.

    Shh, don't tell but the "exciting ink" has been writing a chapter a week for me. The red ink tends to be better at characterization, I've noticed. While the yellow ink is great at the plotting.

    E-mail me privately and I'll tell you where to buy it, but you must not tell anyone else. There's already too much competition as it is. :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.