Get a Free Ebook

Five Inspirational Truths for Authors

Try our Video Classes

Downloadable in-depth learning, with pdf slides

Find out more about My Book Therapy

We want to help you up your writing game. If you are stuck, or just want a boost, please check us out!

Saturday, September 10, 2005

The Best Books on Writing??

I thought I'd post twice today, since I won't be posting tomorrow.

And actually, I wanted your two-cents. I thought I'd talk about the best how to books out there on writing. I'll give you my list and I'm hoping some of you will give me yours. I'm always trying to improve and have already read every how to book I can find on writing and every writing/editing book in all my surrounding libraries. Time to fork out some cash. So maybe you all (or as we say in Roanoke--y'all) could share what books have helped you.

My favorites:

1. Self Editing for Ficition Writers (Browne and King) The number one all time best book on writing ever. It should be against the law for a new writer not to buy it. I'm not kidding.

2. Stephen King, On Writing: not so helpful with the how tos, but great for seeing the process of publishing and how someone breaks in. Also its King, so of course, it's entertaining.

3. The Writer's Digest Handbook of Short Story Writing, Vol I and II. I write novels, and these books have helped immensely.

4. The Writer's book of Hope, Ralph Keyes. The name says it all. Feeling depressed that you'll never get a foot in the door. This is the book for you!

5. Writing the Breakout Novel, Donald Maass. A great look at what sells.

6. Stein On Writing, Sol Stein.

7. John Gardner, On Becoming a Novelist.

8. The Elements of Style, Strunk and White. A no frills read with great info.


I plan on buying Brandilyn Collin's, Getting Into Character at the conference.

Any ideas for what other books itmight behoove me to purchase?

Do share.

3 comments:

  1. Don't get me started ...

    Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell. If you can only have one writing book ...

    How to Write Attention-Grabbing Query and Cover Letters by John Wood. A must have.

    Writing the Thriller by T. McDonald Skillman. Has interviews of authors, too.

    Writing Dialogue by ? Chiarella. I noticed a difference in my dialogue after reading this book.

    Write Away by Elizabeth George. Her journal entries that start each chapter are worth the whole book - encouraging to know we're not alone with doubts.

    Lessons From a Lifetime of Writing by David Morrell. You gotta take notice of what this guy says (creator of Rambo).

    The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman. This'll help you make the first pages (and all the pages) shine.

    Writer to Writer by Bodie & Brock Thoene. Nothing like hearing advice from a Christian perspective. Out of print but available used online, I believe.

    Writing the Novel by Lawrence Block.

    The Elements of Fiction Writing series published by Writer's Digest books (with titles such as Setting, Characters & Viewpoint, Dialogue, Description, etc.)

    The other books in the Write Great Fiction series published by Writer's Digest Books (of which my first, Plot & Structure, is a part of).

    And of course, I could think of more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CJ, I knew you'd come through for me!
    I'm going to start with James S. Bell's and Writing the Thriller. Then move on to the other suggestions. The first five pages should be required reading as well. Forgot about that one. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CJ, I ordered Plot and Structure and writing the thriller. I'll let you know how I like 'em!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. Share what's on your mind.